Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a crazy idea - BADG tuning?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Apr 30, 2002.

1. I just had a thought to myself today. Would it be possible, or good, to string up as BADG? It gives you the low B, but you keep your high notes. You don't lose any range either, you just have to play some notes higher on the B.

Any thoughts or ideas about this?

2. Justin Chancellor of Tool used this tuning on "Parabola." I think it's kinda silly--why not just get a 5-string?--but I hate playing 4s these days, so I'm biased.

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    ive done it
    its fine for some things, but realistically its impractical - a 10 fret difference between 2 strings is just annoying after a while.also, the frets will be totally off after like the 3rd one, so youll be out of tune for most of the string.

but it is fun having a low b :)

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, this BADG tuning seems like it'd kill your tone. Playing 10+ frets high on the b string for the standard notes would get boomy and undefined, plus the B would be floppy. Intonation could be a problem and it'd also be a pain to adapt your fingers and brain to a tuning like that ;)

5. I've got rather small hands, so playing on a 5 is REALLY uncomfortable.

6. I always thought Justin Chancellor tuned BEDG in Parabola...

Either way, both tunings (and all like them) are quite silly, IMO.

7. Nonsense. You haven't found the right 5. Get thyself to a Zon dealer and play a Sonus 5, and then tell me your hands are too small.

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    it was BEDG but either way, its still a ridiculous tuning

9. yeah, dumb tuning. to play a major scale starting on the B string you'd need to shift positions like crazy.

10. Out of my four basses, I've got 3 tuned standard, one of which being the 5er. My fretless is strung BEAD.

Call me a traditionalist, or maybe unenlightened, but 4 strings tuned EADG are all I need. On my 5er, I rarely play anything lower than an E or F. The occasional B,C, or D is nice to have, but never a neccesity for what I play.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly. You just haven't found the right 5 string.

Joe, my hands are probably smaller than yours, and I play 5's and 6's.

My wife has tiny hands, and she gets around pretty good on my Zon 5 string.

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Try a fender jazz 5 strings.those arent so big.

13. Too big for me. I tried it, and the B felt almost pointless to me, because I couldn't fret it well, and it made the other strings feel a lot more uncomfortable.

OK, let me rephrase. My hands are too small for any 5-string basses I can afford right now. I'm sure there are 5-strings that are good for the tiny-handed, but my cash extent right now is going to allow for a set of strings and either a cheap pedal or some new pickups.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know that this may not be the best place to bring this up, but I didn't start it.

Not normally being one to be confrontational at TB, after seeing this proclaimation one too many times, I have to say it out loud.

The "hands too small for 5 string" thing is total horse pucky.

If a 5'1" woman can play an upright, there is no such thing as hands too small.

If hands were an issue, there wouldn't be a human on the planet who can play a nine string. Yet there is at least one. I have never met JT, but I have seen his photos. Unless he is really 9 feet tall, his hands are pretty average.

There is a Christian Latin band called Salvador. The dude that plays for them, Josh Gonzales, is at least 10" shorter than I am. (I am 6"3") A little short, squatty fellow. I shook his hand and my average hands engulfed is little puggy hands.

He plays a Warwick five (can we say baseball bat neck) and flat out smokes. Hands are not an issue.

There are far too many great players of small stature to suggest that your agrument holds any weight at all.

From now on, I just want everyone to say "I am not sufficiently motivated to adapt my technique to allow myself to play a five string."

That's fine. I don't mind at all. Just don't cover lack of motivation with a hollow excuse.

Sure it feels odd, but not more odd than the four did the first time you picked it up.

Sorry, Joe. Please don't think of this as a personal attack. I have seen this several times here. I was just caught in the right mood to finally state my opinion about it.

So as to not be completely negative, the next time you try a five, focus on elevating the neck in order to keep your elbow below the neck, keep your wrist straight and keep your thumb in the center of the back of the neck. I assure you that unless you are toting the hands of my two-year-old, you will have adequate reach and strength to fret any note on the board.

Chas

15. Well said, Chasarms.

I thought I couldn't play 7-strings until I sat down and played the one at Matt Schmill's shop. I focused on keeping my wrist straight and my fingers properly arched, using my shoulder and elbow to reach down to the B and E when necessary--and while I'm not sure if 7s are for me, I know I can play them if the time comes that my style demands one.

Too many guys I see say they can't play 5s, because they have their bass hanging down over their crotch to act as a phallic extension, and wrap their thumb over the top of the neck. I keep my FBB 5 (fatter neck than any Warwick I've played) at a sane level and really focus on good left-hand technique. I may not look as cool as the guy with a Stingray hanging by his knees, but I won't have CTS in 10 years, either.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chas, Peter,

Word

:cool: