Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A CRAZY Lakland/custom project!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, May 31, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    So....
    I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while...I am picking up a Lakland 44-01 in natural/maple board. The plan is to...
    1) Refin the bass to 50s/60s Fender color Shell Pink! ReRanch has the color available in (gasp!) spray cans! There are many who have had pro results with their system, and if I goof up, it's only a 500$ bass! Lots of patience, and as many coats of clear as I am patient enough to do!
    2) Have Jeannie's pickguards make both a mint and white pearloid guard for it.
    3) Change out that nasty preamp for either a Bart w/a 3 way mid switch or an Aguilar 3 band pre.
    4) Possibly...have Carey Nordstrand build me some dual coil pickups and drop them in under maple covers with exposed poles, and add series/parallel/singlecoil switches for each pickup!
    5) Get some black and white penny loafers!
    If this project turns out well, I'm going to buy 2 more 44-01s, and do them in surf green and sonic blue!

So...whaddaya think? I'd love to see someone do a photoshop version of this project...I'd do it, but I am a technological neandrathal! If someone would do it, I'll send them a set of LaBella Slappers that I have new, lying around in a box.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oddly, I like the idea.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Munji,
    Where did you get that avatar? I used to play with a drummer who looked like that!

Anyone here with any Photoshop skills want to give this a go-around?

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    To make them truely authentic looking, your going to have to put racing stripes down them......the penny loafers that is.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You so crazy.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    well here's the pink... not sure what shape pickguard you're talking about though.
    [​IMG]

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    That's the color! The pickguard is the shape of the pickguard that comes on the Classic models. If you can get that shape on there, PM me with your address, and I'll send you out the strings!
    Thanks!

And Wilbyman, I may be crazy, but YOU'RE the one living in West Virginia!! :D :ninja:

When you do that gig with Guy Remonko, tell him I said "Yo!"...the horn player you're probably going to be playing with is a great friend of mine, Ernie Bastin (pronounced Bas-Teen). A ridiculously smoking trumpet player in the style of Chet Baker (Without the smack habit!)

8. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You should go to Pickguardparadise.com and look at the pearloid and other materials they use. I'm having them make me a silver glitter guard for my lakland 5502. Tom is a real cool guy and his stuff looks awesome.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    here ya go, with a minty lakland-style pickguard.
    [​IMG]

Any more requests? :D

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That name sounds right, hopefully the gig is going to happen. I'll keep you posted.

I'm crazier than you, I'm scoping for a Fodera 4 to put Carey's pickups in....(dual coils)

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I had my wife take a picture of me with her digital camera.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I absolutely love it. But I'd do different electronics. Ideally, I'd want lipstick tube pickups -- the bigger the better, of course. Maybe Lakland would sell you a set from the Jerry Scheff model, and they'd look extra sweet with chrome or sparkle surrounds. Don't know if you can buy these from Kent Armstrong. Or I think Seymour Duncan could make you a custom set.

My second choice would be a pair of DiMarzio Model P pickups with the optional cream covers. You'd need to do some routing, but so what? That's what pickguards are for.

We're not done though, because you'll need one or more backups. What if it goes down, and you can't stand the thought of not looking so fine at your next gig? Chris DiPinto has the answers:

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_galaxie.html

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-dlx.html

Unfortunately, the sparkle pickup surrounds on the Belvedere Deluxe don't have quite the "bling" on the web as they do in reality. It's really a wild looking beast. It plays well and sounds awesome too, with a semi-hollow body and two high output single coils. I have the Belvedere Standard (in gold), and it's tough to beat for rock gigs.

Go for it! :D

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Shell pink..... surf green.... sonic blue...... Are you trying to make a Lakland version of the original run of Hoppus basses? :D

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Nope...just trying to add some retro "love" to my stable!
    The maple pickup covers'll be pimpin'!

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I knew I would like this, but I don't know why. That thing would be a HUGE chick magnet.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Looks like what would happen if a Daisy Rock and a Lakland had a kid. :D

You know, I was thinking it would look pretty bad but having seen it it's kind of interesting, and I think mostly in a good way. I'm curious to see it in the surf green and sonci blue now!

17. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

well, I'll be happy to photoshop em all up, what color pickguards on those?

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Don't forget the maple covers with exposed poles for the photoshoping. On another note, you might be able to get what you want from Dan Lakland as a custom shop. Meaning, he might be able to change your 44-01 pre-amp for the Bart NMTB or whatever it's called.

19. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    not too fond of that pickguard... looks out of place. but good luck on the project.

20. Yeah, I would definitely like to request that in seafoam green and sonic blue. Unfortunately, I have no strings to offer.