A custom fretless J in progress !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growlngrind, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Hello all, I am finally getting to start working on my custom fretless J. I will try to update this post as it comes together. Thanks so far to Nino Valenti for some input on hardware choices.

Right now the only finished piece is the neck. It is a one off from USA Custom Guitars - Flatsawn maple w/ graphite inlaid rods, ebony fretboard w/ maple lines, and 7 &1/4" radius. I finished the back and headstock Ernie Ball style with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax, and it has a very sleek feel. The fretboard is unfinished.

I should have the body finished in a week or so, and I will post some pics of it when its done.

Attached Files:

2. The bass is nearly finished now! I am just waiting on a few parts to arive( mainly tuners and a control plate), and I am laying on a few more coats of oil while I am waiting. I took a shot of the bass while I had it together for the mock up.

I think it is turning out pretty good for my first build. :)

Attached Files:

3. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    very nice man....emg's are nice, what else are you putting in there? any preamp?
  4. Thanks!

Yeah, I am trying the EMG BQC System in this one. If I dont like it, I may switch to an Aguilar, because I really like the OBP-3 I put in my Dingwall.

I also have a few vintage trim pieces I may use, like a thumbrest and a chrome pup cover. Havent decided for sure If I am going to use them.
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's going to one nice bass, congratulations. I know some people don't like the "hi-fi" sound of EMGs, but in the the Jazz fretless I put together they sound exctly the way I want. It's here if you'd like a look (or listen!)

6. Nice bass Bill!

I really like the sound of the EMG J's, and the output isnt so huge that it makes it hard to balance with my other basses. This is my first experience with them in a fretless, but they were awsome for slap in the fretted J I had before. There does seem to be a lot of EMG bashing around here. To each his own I guess.

I have considered trying a graphite neck on one of my next builds too. How do you like the status neck, and did you compare it to any other carbon fiber necks before buying it?

Yes, I would like to hear a clip of your bass if you have one handy!

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks Zac. +1 on the EMG comments. Output on my (passive) Rick seems as high to me as the EMGs!

I haven't tried any other graphite necks, but I knew Status basses were excellent (I used to own one a long time ago and have regretted selling it for years), so I was sure the neck would be a good one. It is - plays great, slim but not too slim. Feels a bit like my Rick neck actually! I'm also sure it's a major influence on the sound of the bass, what with the very high resonant frequency of graphite compared to wood (and compared to the frequency of bass notes). Fingerboard too is obviously more of a factor in a fretless' tone than with a fretted, and the phenolic board on this neck is very, very hard. I know some people would still prefer the bass with a wood neck - YMMV, etc, etc.

If you PM me your email address I'll gladly send you the clip.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice , all the best with it. :bassist:
  9. PM sent, thanks!
  10. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I recently sold a Warmoth jazz bass with a flamed Koa body, EMG jazz pickups and BQC system and a Modulus neck. It was easily one of the best sounding and playing basses I have ever heard. The EMG jazz pickups are a great sounding pickup, I like them alot better than any EMG soapbar pickup I have heard and I have had three different kinds in basses I have owned.