Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A custom mod for a Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Oct 25, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, just thought I'd share this and see if anyone has had a similar experience. I got a Roscoe that had "slightly too high" action. I couldn't lower the saddles down low enough. This is one of the LG-3005's with the custom designed bridge (the big block with the square saddles).

So I called Jason over at Hipshot, and had him custom mill me a "B" style bridge like the one on my F bass, but with the exact same mounting holes and string spacing as the Roscoe bridge. This solved the action problem, and suddenly it became possible to get a really amazing growly tone out it when playing quietly.

But this mod also had a very interesting side effect. It made the action a little "slappier", now I can get a much better reaction out of the string when I pluck it. When it's played hard I get a nice boingy effect that wasn't there before. It sounds great with the harder rock styles, I do a lot of stuff that resembles Dream Theater and "modern progressive rock", and the sound works perfectly in that context.

Just wanted to share...

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool! Might have to consider that for my SKB3006. :cool: