A.D.D. and bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Samelot, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    hi, i have a.d.d., ive been off and on medicine throughout my life. By now i have figured out that everytime i take the medicine, i feel depressed and unsocial, and when i dont i feel like my self and energetic. The only probelm is, is that when i do take the medicine i am able to concentrate alot better (and it does make me a better thinker in a lot of differnet ways.) I'm wondering if taking a.d.d. medicine might help the following probelms when i play bass:

- When i am doing scales, i find my self getting off task and just randomly playing different patternes as fast as i can.

- Id like to take my times and play things slower and more amounts of times to engrave them better into my head.

- I would like to be able to remember the sound of notes in my head better, (fiths and thirds, etc) so i can choose better directions in my music without having to stop and think.

- To remember scales, and songs that i learn better and longer.

- Mainly not to get carried off and to not just play crazy patterns as fast as i can, (i find this a probelm in my playing, where i just speed play, and by the end of practice i havent got anything accomplished.)

what do u guys think?
  2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I think that age is really one of the big factors to look at when it comes to dealing with ADD (Attention Defecit Disorder, for those who don't know). I was diagnosed with ADD at 10 years old and I was put on Adderall soon afterwards. I noticed a lot of the same symptoms you're talking about, even if it did help me concentrate a lot better. I'm 18 now, and I don't take my meds anymore because I don't need them. As you get older, some of the symptoms of ADD begin to fade as your brain develops more. I don't know the specifics of your case of ADD, but here's some general things you can do that may help:

- While meds can help you focus, you can learn to do it without them too. It's all a matter of realizing when you start to lose focus and trying to get yourself back on track.
    - Talk to your doctor about the dosage that you take. You really might not need as much as you're taking, and you can often find a good balance between being able to focus and avoiding some of the negative side effects you talked about.
    - Make a schedule for when you practice. Set time limits for each exercise that you do, and make goals for what you want to accomplish. If you find yourself playing too fast, use a metronome.
    - Most importantly, don't look to your meds as your only way of dealing with having ADD. They can help, but your friends and family are equally important in treating it.

Hope I offered you something good :)
  3. Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    thx man, good help
  4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I do that all the time. I think that's just because, well playing scales is boring.
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i'd have to agree (even though justateenpoet's advice is the absolute best advice you're going to get), no one likes scales. They're a necessary evil.