Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A D.I. question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 25, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive got a few questions about DI boxes that have been on my mind for a bit, so ill ask them and see what yous say :D sorry if its in the wrong forum, i didnt know where to chuck it.
    Anyway..

How do you advertise a DI. Dont they all do the same job? If they all carry the signal from the bass to the amp/ from the bass to the mixing desk, they all do the same job?

How can one DI unit be better than the next is what im trying to say.

This has really puzzeled me, and im not sure if i have worded this question right, but its really puzzling me :confused:

Anyway thanks for any help guys.

2. You mean because the task seems so simple, right?

Well, there's the build quality and the circuit design just to name two particulars. The quality of the components comprising "the guts" can vary greatly from brand to brand.

The circuit influences the noise-floor and tone. Some DIs simply have a lot of noise. You can imagine how that mucks up a recording situation.

In a more subjective area there is the DIs influence on the tone. Some DIs pride themselves on adding/subtracting nothing from the tone. Others take pride in the opposite.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There must be something in it. Soundguys can't plug my Sansamp DI in quick enough, even thought I only engage it occasionally for overdrive. They reckon it sounds good through the PA. Most soundguys have an opinion wh which DI's are good and which arent.

I guess to the untrained ear, it's like trying to pick the difference between a cheap set of bagpipes and a good set - all sounds the same to me :)

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    So some DIs can take away tone, add un-wanted background noise or just make your tone sound worse, and some can just carry it straight through them no problems yeah?

Its just that our school has got a new DI for recording and its been annoying me all week, at whats the difference vetween the new one and the old one :D