1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

A dad looking to get his 18 year old son a bass kicking gift!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kyle Keezer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    Hello everyone,

My son who is turning 18 this coming August and has been playing guitars for over 10 years now and over the last 5 years now he has been playing mostly bass. I got him his first 4 string (He has 5 different ones now) 5 years ago and this last year I got him a his first 6-string Peavey Grind Natural Electric Bass Guitar for Christmas from guitarcenter.com. I am now looking to get him into a Marshall bass amp this coming birthday.

Here is where I need your help, I know almost nothing about modern musical equipment, I work an IT systems engineer, and a Jeep guy so I know computer systems and Jeeps not musical systems and I am here for some much needed Advice/Help.

What do I need to get him into as far as equipment goes? I have read that there are AMP and Head units that I assume drive the speakers? Please correct me if I am wrong. I was looking on musiciansfriend.com and found what looked like a good Marshall, see below. Also, any other recommendations are also welcome!

These are the ones I am looking at, (See links below)
    Marshall MX412BR 240W 4x12 Straight Guitar Speaker Cab | Musician's Friend
    Marshall MX412AR 240W 4x12 Angled Guitar Speaker Cab | Musician's Friend

What all do I need to get him hooked up and be ready to play with this equipment? The other Marshall amp I got him for his guitar had an input plug port built in but it's for a guitar not a bass guitar. Where I live, I have no music stores to go to for advice. That is why I came here seeking advice from this group.

So please help educate me on what I need to get him so he can rock the block and still have fun playing? I would like to keep it this around 500 to 750 dollars. Also, any other suggestions are welcomed. I have always gotten him either Marshall or Orange equipment in the past as I know those are made to last and are well built from what I have read.

Thank you in advance for any and all input on this matter and helping a dad out! I want to make it something cool for my 18 year old son birthday.

Kyle

Drucifer, bassballs27, Rayjay and 3 others like this.
  2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Guitar speaker cabinets and bass speakers cabs are different. I would recommend an amp head somewhere around 300-500 watts and a cabinet to match. I like ampeg personally.

otp57, jdwinva, wintremute and 6 others like this.
  3. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Hi Kyle, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for all of your bass needs. You will soon get a lot of options/ opinions on what is best. As far as the cabinet you're looking at getting your son, that is for guitar, not bass, and likely will not sound good with bass. I like Gallien Krueger amps and speakers myself. What kind of music is your son into? That will help with what we recommend.

4. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    Thanks for the reply, do you have a place that you could recommend that I could look at or buy from?

stuffedbread and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    Same Question, Also, thank you for the reply. Do you have a place that you could recommend that I could look at or buy from? He likes heavy metal and rock and roll like me (Loud and Proud) that I can take some credit for lol.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    charlie monroe likes this.
  6. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    This needs to move to the Electric Bass side of the forum.

Lobster11, Kyle Keezer and lokikallas like this.
  7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I would buy from sweetwater personally. What is the budget? I can tell you exactly what I'd buy for X $'s.

8. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    Well, I would like to keep it around 500 to 750 for now as I am on a budget like most people. I hope that doesn't sound cheap; I know some equipment can go into the thousands easily.

jdwinva, spvmhc and J_Bass like this.
  9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    What's your budget?

Do you know what he is currently using?

You have combos and you have amp + cabinet.

What kind of music does he play?

Let's ask the mods to move this to the right sub-forum.
    @Pacman, @kesslari.

Kyle Keezer likes this.
  10. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    Can an Admin please move this thread to the correct location, sorry about that, newbie at work.

Instagator, dralionux and J_Bass like this.
  11. Kyle Keezer

Kyle Keezer

Feb 24, 2021
    All of that information is listing in the treads above. Thanks!

J_Bass likes this.
  12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
  13. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    It doesn't, of course not!

You'll find everything here on TalkBass. From the 50€ bass to the 10000€. There is room for everyone.

14. Frankly, Marshall is a far bigger deal in the guitar world than in the bass world. They wouldn’t even be on my radar for bass.

I was about to lay out some options, but frankly, you’re just going to get overwhelmed with choices here - many of them contradictory (for example, someone suggested Fender, and I’d say he’s probably not going to really dig the Fender).

Call Sweetwater, tell them your budget, what type of music he likes to play, what sort of instruments he’ll be playing with, and what he’s used to on the guitar side of things. They’ll help you figure out some alternatives that will be just fine.

You’re not going to buy something that’s a hunk of junk, so don’t worry about that. It’s really more about getting bang for you buck, and finding something that will sound “right” for how it’ll be used.

15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    rodl2005 and btmpancake like this.
  16. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Good advice right here.

17. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
  18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Would you adopt me? :)

If your son has been playing for quite some time now, I think he has certain amps that he likes already. I would ask him what he prefers. You're an awesome dad! Rock.

19. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Buy from Sweetwater or directly from the manufacturer, if you can. I think an awesome amp present for the serious young person is the Fender Rumble Stage 800 combo amp. It's a small powerful combo that you can add a cabinet to, and it has computer on board that does digital trickery to sound like lots of different amps, cabs, and effects, all the modern hookups and features. It does some guitar amps impressions too. I have it's little brother model (ordered on Fender's site) and it is very fun and useful.

Kyle Keezer and Sid s like this.
  20. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Sweetwater.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021