A Danishman in Florida

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by middlebit, May 9, 2019.

1. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I will be going on vacation in Florida roughly July 13th - 30th

The wife and kids are tagging along, so all the major landmarks, such as Disney World, Kennedy Space Center, Hemingway’s house, etc., are in the schedule already, but I was wondering if some of you might give me some tips on to what to experience there - maybe something a bit out of the norm. We’ll pretty much be making a round trip that will reach the corners of the state, so don't be shy.

So, best pancakes in the state? Secret beaches? Gigs or jam sessions? Great places to check out second hand basses? Or something else entirely!

2. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    GregC and middlebit like this.
  3. All that time and not heading up to New Orleans?

the harp unstrung and Low84 like this.
  4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    That's right. That's another trip!

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  6. There's De Leon Springs State Park, which includes a restaurant called The Sugar Mill where you can make your own pancakes.

middlebit likes this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Fort De Soto - beach and park near Clearwater.

oldrocker and middlebit like this.
  8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Bass Central is in or near Orlando. They should have a great selection of basses. You can check their website to see if anything floats your boat.

middlebit likes this.
  9. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    If you're in Miami, check out the Wynwood Arts District. There's a really cool self-contained street art exhibit there, and lots of good restaurants and shops. There's even a combination vintage guitar/car shop, but I don't recall the name of it right now. The area gets busy on weekends, though.

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
  11. Oh, how could I forget? The Tiffany Museum in Winter Park.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Take a ride through the swamp in an airboat. I don't know any companies to recommend though.

-Mike

catcauphonic, middlebit and GregC like this.
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh, and the Sam Ash store in Clearwater was the world-infamous Kapok Tree Inn! A must see!

oldrocker likes this.
  14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Flippers Pizzeria in Kissimmee has really good pizza for fair prices and a casual family environment.
    I'll be eating there when I visit Orlando in June.

-Mike

15. I agree. I suggest Everglades Holiday Park in western Davie, FL. Take Griffin Road west until the road ends:
    Everglades Airboat Tours, Everglades Airboat Rides & Gator Shows

If possible, take the small, private airboat ride rather than the large 40-seat general ride. It’s a better experience.

middlebit likes this.
  16. middlebit likes this.
  17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That's where I had my prom. I have to agree, it's definitely worth a visit just to see the architecture alone.

Other points of interest in the Tampa/Clearwater area: Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, Museum of Science and Industry, Clearwater Beach, Dunedin Beach, Tampa Riverwalk, and if you scoot into Hernando County you can canoe or motor boat up the Weeki Wachee River, and see all sorts of wild animals, including Manatee.

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Welcome back to TBOT bro.

-Mike

the harp unstrung and Mike N like this.
  19. Btw, in English we call you a Dane, not a Danishman. Same like Gernans from Germany. Yes, we Engishmen have no bananas. We're weird like that.

the harp unstrung likes this.