A darker sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluerskiesburnt, Dec 8, 2004.

1. I've recently changed the style of music I play. It was a little bit of everything previously. BUt now I really wanna focus on my post hardcore styled band. So i'm searching for a killer low end. But I dont know where to start

My current rig is:
    behringher bx3000t head (300 watts)
    hartke vx410
    ibanez gsr200 (p-j)

As you can see I'm an artist on a budget. I was thinking of adding a 1x15 cab to reinforce that low end, ya know? But my friend suggested on getting a better bass seeing as how the bass I have is worth about 200 bucks if you've seen this model its the older one without the fancy bridge and eq.

My question is in order to attain a (post) hardcore, metal, hardcore punk sound what do i need to do?

cab or bass?

If so which cab do you reccommend? or What fender (precision) bass do you reccomend?
  2. try out some mim fenders (jazzes and ps), the quality control on them varies greatly, some are amazing, some are crap. either would work just fine for that style of music. also, adding the 1x15 would beef up the lows as well.
  3. i'm gonna say get the new bass first, i'm in pretty much the same situation you're in and after trying out a bunch of basses with the amp/cab setup i have getting a new bass is the best option, but if you're really strapped for cash you could upgrade the pickups instead

i'd go with a j- bass it's pretty versitile and you could get just about any sound you want out of them
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    How do you like the bass? If you are happy with it, I wouldn't let the price worry you.

For a better low end, how about a 2x12? More oomph without getting muddy.
  5. Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Do you play with a pick? If so, a P-bass just might be the ticket.

6. i sometimes use my 18 inch cab by itself (have a 4x10 as well) and even it is not muddy. 15s are fine as long as you set up your EQ correcty.

that being said, i would love having a 4x12 cabinet over my 4x10/1x15 setup because it'd be easier to move, sound wise they're all pretty close. i find the heads affect sound a lot more than the cabs.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

If you've ever heard a bass that comes close to the tone your looking for through your rigging, I'd rule out the rigging and focus on the bass. It's a lot more simple and cheaper variable to jack with.

Play, feel, and acoustics are the main aspects of a bass and if you like all 3 you can adjust otherwise with a pup swap if needed. Pups are key to varying tone but will be significantly influenced by the acoustic properties of the bass.

Play and feel are easy to distinguish. If you don't like those. I'd get another bass.

If you like play and feel and don't like the acoustic properties, I'd get another of the same bass with different tone.

If you're not sure of the acoustic properties, you either take your chances or find someone you trust who can tell you.

In my experience, acoustically midrange basses respond better to most pups. Dark bass in general requires brighter pups and a bright bass requires darker pups.

My first bass was a GSR 200 that I transplanted active EMG's with BTC preamp. I still have it, along with 5 others.
  8. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004

I don´t understand. Why would a 15" require "correctly set" eq? I think the aforementioned "muddiness" refers to the slower transient response of 15" and 18" speakers...
  9. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a very heavy sound and I use a Warwick thumb neck-thru 5 string detuned to ADGCF. I use a 4x10 cab and a 1x15. Just keep in mind that the lower the note the more power you need to push it out as lower frequencies physically have to move more air so this requires a higher wattage amp. Also if you are wanting a heavier sound boost the bass and treble and turn down the midrange. A good way to set your amp for this sound is to turn your bass and treble up to 9 (or the 5 o'clock position) and turn your mid-range up to 5 (or the noon position) Start by turning the mid-range down first until it sounds good to you, then turn the bass down and finally the treble last. you will find when trying to get a good sound it is easier to take away what you don't want than to add to your sound.
  11. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got the same head and run it through a Peavey 2X15". It gives me plenty of volume and deep bass (with clarity mind you) that I'm looking for. I'd say keep your bass and shop for a 1X15" extension or sell your 4X10" for a decent 2X15".

12. The bass gets me by, but i defintely am looking for something new. and I do play with a pick.
  13. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Playing with a pic is definetly something to consider with pup choice, although different material/gauge of pic can compensate considerably. I've found some pups work well with a variety of pics, others require heavy gauge, still others I wouldn't use a pic at all. That's using TI flats.
  14. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I would say a Warwick or Musicman would produce the good low end you're looking for. That deep growly sound.
  15. ok so i did some fiddling and i am qite positive the sound i want is a distinct p-bass sound, but more mid and bass heavy. so do you think swapping the pick-ups in my current bass would be a better idea? if so what? and if not once again what's a good p-bass?
  16. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    here's another vote for warwick....
    For my emo/punk/sorta kinda ######## band I use a warwick corvette standard with ghs flats and the tone all teh way down. That and my 12 inch speaker give me a nice clear yet boomy and bassy sound that i think fits the kind of music i play well. (although it is sort of the opposite of the "typical punk sound" i like it)
    just a thought.
  17. I would replace everything. Get a modest P bass or PJ. SX or MIM Fender.

I would shoot for that Ashdown Mag head and Dr. Bass or Avatar cabs. 210 and a 115 or a 212.

Your bass and cabs preclude the sound you seek. And some of the other suggestions sound a little extreme, IMO. If an amp and a bass and the cab sound horrible with everything set flat, it is time to look elsewhere. You will save your self a lot of equipment buying if you get it right the first time (or second).

Old sckool punk and wave requires a P bass, PJ, J or RIc and a little bit of tubish distortion. You want warm, yet percussive tone. You aint going to get it using any of those pieces. I am not trying to bash anything or anyone, just trying to shoot straight.
  18. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Warwick rockbasses are supposed to be pretty useful. Deluxe active jazz looks pretty neat.

Selling the 4x10 and getting a 4x12 is an idea too, although think about you're back.
  19. i dig the warwick rockbasses, but they are going to require a pup overall to tame their inherent brightness. But if you can find a used fortress flashback, grab it! and if you don't, PM me. that thing has old skool punk/wave written all over it. my fav warwick ever.

none of the bassists in the music you like use metallic-sounding, bright bass tone.
  20. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

SD Quarter Pounder P has huge bottom end. A little scooped in the mid and upper mids but with plenty of low end, low mid and high end. Great pickup...