1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A date that will live in Infamy....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokin' Toaster, Dec 7, 2011.

1. All the TB historians and no Pearl Harbor thread? Did anyone see the show where they debunked myths about the attack last night?

2. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Oops I'm a day late. Where is everybody? It seems like most people other than veterans, military historians, and military geeks like me have completely forgotten about Pearl Harbor. Our flags were at half-mast on campus, but that was it. No one seemed to care or even really notice.

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Maybe if you could tie Tim Tebow, Madonna, or Jaco Pastorius in with Pearl Harbor Day you could get a lively debate. Around here we seem to enjoy history "lite." :bag:

4. In a way, today is a date that will live in infamy for the Boomer Generation - the day that John Lennon was killed.

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Wow, I don't think I ever realized they shared the same date!

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    what did they debunk, exactly??

7. What was the name of the show? I'd like to hopefully find a place online to watch it.

8. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    If it's the show I'm thinking of, "History's Mysteries: Pearl Harbor".

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Are you sure it wasnt Ancient Aliens: Pearl Harbor?

10. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    World War II was the inevitable result of rampant, unchecked nationalism on a global scale. Having been an armchair military scholar for much of my life, I have come to realize the ultimate stupidity and evil of war and that there never really has been a "good" one.

11. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Come to think of it, the Korean War and Vietnam War were also the result of unchecked nationalism.

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Pearl Harbor was on the 7th, Lennon was shot on the 8th.

13. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No disagreement and WWI too. Chronologically one could think of WWII as the final battle of the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71).

14. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    What time? He was shot in NY right? 5 hour difference between Hawaii and the East Coast ;)

15. I've also heard this period of European history described as a European Civil War. Personally, I think the 20th Century was for Europe the long and painful transition from monarchies to democracies.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I thought it was 6, or maybe thats during "Daylight Saving Time" or was it Standard time? I forget which one is which...

17. Did I use the term "TalkBass Historians"?

I take it back. Except for GregC. Thanks.

And I believe it was "Mysteries of Pearl Harbor"

18. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I only keep track of the one that gives me an extra hour of sleep...

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Whew! For a second there I thought I was completely out of touch with reality!

20. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    I heard more RIP DIMEBAG than anything about Lennon or Pearl Harbor.

hmm...