A day at the beach was no day at the beach.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 11, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    [rant on]

Ok, as you guys probably know, I have a disability...Cerebral Palsy, and I walk with crutches..no biggie. Well I'm on vacation this week and my other half and I decided we're going to stay over at the beach for a night (for you New Englander's, it was Hampton Beach in Hampton, NH). Cool, haven't been there in a few years.

Long story short and I will say, what a friggin pain. Our motel was just about 200 yards down the street from the beach, so we didn't have long to go. Finding parking was the problem. I always knew that the beach is and will be mobbed, but I could not find one parking spot available. There was not even one handicapped spot. Oh sure there were a ton of "leased" spots for some of the other motels, but other than that, nothing. Finally about about 20 minutes of circling, someone pulled out and I was able to park. But then you have to pay. Most meters I've seen are like what, $.25 for an hour? This one was $.25 for 20 minutes. Whatever...so we have that problem solved and have a nice hour or two laying on the beach.

The real problem and wreck to our little vacation was later. They have all these shops, game areas and food stands along the boardwalk. I could not find one place in a reasonable distance that I could park. Again, no handicapped spots. There were a ton of spots right in front where we wanted to go but every single one was either a bus parking spot or a "restricted parking spot". The only option I had was a parking lot pretty far away from where we wanted to go, and there no way I was going to walk that far. It would kill me (not literally but ya know) :)

I'm going to have to call the chamber of commerce or something just to find out what the rules are for people in my situation. Having no HP spots and having half the parking spots be restricted is rediculous. Because of this, I had to go back to the motel while my fiance walked around. Fun huh? :)

[/rant off]
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That sucks, man. I hope you had a good time, otherwise.

I always thought it was a law to have HC Parking for most/all buildings.
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's what I thought, but I sure as heck didn't see any :)

Yea I had a pretty good time otherwise. They had fireworks and we could see them from where we stayed, so that was nice. I just wished I could have spent more time with Jen when she was out.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    We're always running into this.

My wife is in a chair, and her van has a passenger-side ramp. Either there's no van accessible parking available, or some moron will park in the striped off area next to her van while she’s in the store and prevent her from opening the door.

We have more options when we’re together and I’m driving, but when she drives herself (90% of the time) it’s a constant battle.
  5. I'm not disabled, but more than once I've gotten into some pretty heated "discussions" with people that do just that.

It's one thing if someone is just running into a store for a quick minute, and you are still in the car waiting (and able to move if necessary...still don't make it right) but when you actually park there (especially if there are dozens of open spots for the taking, not 10-12 steps farther away) you are certainly going to have words with me.

It never amazes me anymore the depths of society's laziness. Do they really think the stripes mean it's for their car only or something?

Don't get me started on lazy bastards that park in handicapped spots. Oh, they get such an earful. 99% of them move before I chew their head off.

Sorry to hear an otherwise fun getaway was tainted. I'd definitely lodge a complaint.
  6. Sorry to hear about that!!
  7. That's a real unecessary situation man, Im sorry you had to go through that. You should educate yourself on the rules and find out exactly what you can do to ensure you have a spot to park.

For what it's worth I hope you and your fiance enjoyed the rest of the trip. :)
  8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My biggest question, which I'll have to find out, is if because I have plates, if I can park in certain areas without getting towed. Generally I can park in a meter and not pay, but I did this time because I didn't want to risk it.

I actually went out with a girl who told me that she'd use her grandmother's placard and park in HP spots at walmart because there's about 600 HP spots at the one around here.

One of my favorite jokes is "Why does the home depot have to have 20 parking spots? C'mon, if someone can lay down flooring, spackle and put up drywall, they can't walk the extra 30 feet to the door?"

I usually have a good sense of humor about myself and don't get irritated by parking situations easily, but this one was just rediculous.
  9. I will admit though that I am sometimes a handicap abuser. My dad had his hip replaced a few years ago, and as a result has a Virginia DMV permit. We rely on it every day for metro parking, not for the close spots, but so we can actually get spots. A metro station a bit farther away has a huge garage, but the closer one doesn't as the neighbors would bitch to no end if one were installed. The result is that the only open spots in the morning after 7:00 am are the reserved spots (that don't become unreserved until 10, and you WILL get a ticket if you park in one.) and the handicap spots. I'd rather not show up at work 2 hours early. I know that this is probably an abuse, but ah well. I blame it on the 30 or so always-empty reserved spots and the whiny neighbors. :meh:
  10. (keeping in mind that I'm going into work with my dad) Have one of your hips removed and replaced with a steel spike, then get back to me on that. :)
  11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually he did say "we" quite a few times :)
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have to share a story. Up until reading this thread, I never paid much attention to people who park in the yellow lines next to the disabled spots. That has changed....read on...

I am inside my local 7-11 getting a Slurpee. Hot, sunny afternoon so it is crowded. I had to park much farther away than normal. As I am in line to pay, a brand spanking new Nissan Armada comes rumbling up to the front of the store, radio on full blast. It has big skinny tires, spinners, all the trimmings. I look in the window, and I notice the truck is full of 16-18 year old wannabe Eminems. So, this dude rolls up and parks one side of his truck so the passenger wheels are up on the curb, and the rest of his truck is taking up the yellow lined area next to the disabled spot. Driver hops out, while the homies stay in the truck with the radio at ear splitting levels. Dude comes in strutting the major attitude, and he is maybe 17 years old. This thread comes right to my mind, and I decide to address the fact that he is parked illegally. He flips me some attitude, no problem. I am about twice this kids size, so I don't want to look like some punk trying to start a fight with someone half my size. As I am walking out, this kid calls the other dudes on his cell phone from inside 7-11 to tell them I gave him a hard time. No kidding. As I get outside, two more 17 year old Eminem wannabes hop out of the Armada and ask me what my problem is. The other two dudes hop out the other side of the truck, so I have four 17 year old punks standing around me acting as if they may start something. I remind them that they are parked illegally, and possibly preventing someone who needs this space to get out of their car. One of the dudes cusses me out and says he doesnt see any "slang for disabled person" around. Then he proceeds to tell me they are going to give me something to be upset about. I calmly ask these children if they really want to start a fight with me when I only reminded them of the fact that they are parked illegally. Not once have I raised my voice, or acted violent. I am standing there with two Slurpees in my hand. The driver comes out and tells me I am a blankety blankety this and that. I ask him why he has so much rage against me when he is the one doing something illegal. At this point, another dude tells me they are going to hurt me so I will be the one who needs to use the disabled parking spot. At this point, I become very angry, so I set my Slurpees down and start turning green. Nah, just kidding. I ask them why it has to come to this, and they call me a sissy and hop in their ride and drive off cussing, and flipping me off.

As I walked to my car, the manager of the 7-11 came over and put his hand on my shoulder and thanked me for not starting a fight. He gave me a coupon for a couple free Slurpees and a hot dog. I don't eat hot dogs, so I gave the hot dog coupon to my son.

I am sorry to hear of the frustrations you deal with Rob. Thank you for sharing this story. It opened my eyes to something I never really paid any attention to in the past.

13. Nice job MJ, I'm very proud of you!!! :) :) Great job. :cool:
  14. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    +1 MJ

Maybe with those kids mental disabiility they should have been allowed to park there
  15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 You know this actually reminds me of something. I had someone post a message over on my drummer website in the guestbook, simply named "bassplayer", so I'm assuming he came there from here. He says the site should be open to all drummers as they all have mental disabilities.

Mike, thanks for sticking up for what you knew was right. Alot of people wouldn't. It doesn't surprise me the attitude that they had. Alot of people have a lack of respect or even disdain for others with a disability (oh and I got what "slang" you were going to say..no problem, I've accidentally used it myself *lol*) I pull up to Boston Market and see that all 5 HP spaces are taken "Man there's alot of cripp..handicapped people here" I gotta have a sense of humor of it.

But I still can't believe in this day and age how things really aren't any better. Between people I've overheard make comments about me, to things friends of mine have heard people say, to relatives of girls I've dated who didn't like me because of the CP, and to the lack of accomidations places like Hampton lack, it boggles my mind sometime.

Granted, I'm not one of those "hey ya'll need to cater to me" people, and I'll gladly go out of my way to NOT park in a HP spot if I don't have to, but sometimes it does get under my skin a bit. I'll tell you that the whole experience of ruining the things I could've done while I was there did get me kind of down on myself and my limitations, which doesn't happen often.
  16. Mike, good for you man, dirtbags like that could use a good ass kicking, but it'd do good for no one and wouldn't change their having parked illegally.

Fourstring, you seem like such a damn good person to have a good sense of humor about some of the unnecessary garbage you have to put up with. Man, Im getting heated just thinking about how ignorant, rude and just plain inhumane people can be... what happend to treating others as you'd like to be treated? Can people not put themselves in anothers shoes for a couple of minutes and make a smarter choice?

Man, Im just someone reading about a fraction of the difficulties you deal with everday and it really get's me going, your patience and understanding of the world is an example to many no doubt.
  17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    To anyone who gets pissed, I usually say that if it doesn't bother me, don't let it bother you. I was at a restaurant one time with a girl I was seeing, and I was in the bathroom. When I came out, she looked TICKED.. She told me that someone walked by the table with a few other people and whispered "How can anyone be with a person like that?" Referring to me. She was madder than I was..I basically just laughed it off and thought "pfft..ignorant sob"

I don't usually think of what I have to deal with as "difficulties". There are alot of people out there who try and take pity on themselves, Im not one of them. I may not be the most positive outlooking person, but I try and look at any challenge I have as something to prove to myself that I can do, and once I figure it out, it's just every day life.
  18. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Park in the fire lane like I do. I frequently park illegally for short durations of time. With handicapped plates, I'm sure you could get away with it. I'm a bad person though.
  19. Ahhh, I was trying to word my post in a way that didn't seem condescending as that's the last thing on my mind. As for not letting it bother me, that I can't do... I get bothered easily, especially when it comes to things like people being rude or as you put it, ignorant. Ignorance implies they don't know any better, and that's true, but that's never an excuse to be rude. Also I tend to be particularly sensitive to other people's comfort and moods, so even when someone might not be offended I can often end up feeling angry.

I apologize if anything I said was taken the wrong way, my intent for that post was to show respect for your state of mind, lord knows many could learn a thing or two from your outlook on life in general, and I try to adapt a "not being bothered attitude," but sometimes it can be too much.

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh no no, I got what you meant and didn't take it in a condescending way. I just was saying that I don't think people should get bothered if it doesn't bother the person who should be the one to get most bothered by it.

Ya know what I mean..:meh: