1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Day at the Luthier's Shop

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by BobKay, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to acquire the skill and experience to be able to work on our instruments. I spent 5 hours with a luthier in southeast Michigan yesterday, and it was an enjoyable experience. With the understanding that he has a particular point of view about set up, and 40 year's experience to back up his point of view, I was pleased with the work he did.

I took my bass to him because I thought it needed a general "lube, oil and filter" once over. I've never been thrilled with how it sounded at certain places on the finger board, and wanted to be sure I was getting all I could out of the instrument. 100% pizz, traditional country, bluegrass, western swing. So, here's what he did to my 2-year-old full ply 7/8ths:
    1. New tailgut - some type of material that looks like parachute chord, but isn't.
    2. Adjusted the afterlengths.
    3. Re-fit the bridge feet to the top.
    4. Re-fit the sound post and made small movements to the position.
    5. Shimmed the nut for a little more clearance.
    6. Dressed the fingerboard.
    7. Talked me into replacing my Spiro mediums with a set of Super Silvers (very hard decision for me to make; Spiros on both of my basses and any others I've had for 35 years).

Result? All positive so far, but time will tell. The strings? Not so sure but I'm going to really try and be open-minded.

So thanks again to all of you who know a lot more than I do, and most other players, about what makes our instruments work.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021