1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a day old and already questions---- mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toobalicious, Mar 31, 2009.

1. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    now that i am digging into it, i realize that i am not certain of the power tube pair grouping. front to back, or side to side? this is only my second ever mesa amp (first was a .22 studio combo--- leagues of difference, lol), and i guess i didnt realize that even mesa's crappy relabels are color-coded for current draw. lucky me, i have half a rainbow's worth of colors on my power tubes, and i at least want to make sure the pairs are "matched" (though i would bet that at this point, none of them actually *match*).

the "manual" (brochure? pamphlet?) is useless for this info....

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    gracias....

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you know you can split the signal from your bass and plug into both inputs at the same time right? Believe me...it's the way to go with that amp. Makes it more versatile and seems to put out more volume this way. I miss mine! (but not the weight of it and the RoadReady 2X15...Jeez!)

4. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    yeah, it has occurred to me. but i havent really had much of a chance to make sexy-time with her yet.

and on that note--- two "sides" of 6 tubes each.

that means my output tubes are all grades of mismatched, i guess. need to research mesa color codes (never *ever* bought a mesa branded tube), but i assume they mimic the GT system to a degree. sigh.

that is why i needed to ask--- the previous owner obviously thought they were in pairs, as the colors/positions correspond to that kind of reasoning. so JJ's seem to be a favorite? i like their british numbered tubes, but ive never tried any 6L6GC's.