1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A dead spot story, and it's a real shame...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I own a bunch of basses, and over the years I've owned a bunch more. Currently I own eight American Fenders, two Rickenbackers and a Stingray, none of them have a dead spot. I've yet to own a bass that had one.

Today I was at a music store and chanced upon a 1968 Hofner Beatle Bass. I've always wanted one, yet I've never found one that really spoke to me. So I carried it over to a Rumble 200 and plugged it in. It was in good condition, it felt comfortable, the action was perfect and it sounded really good. In my mind I was figuring out how to afford this bass. And then I happened upon the fifth fret of the G string. It was like someone turned the volume completely off, it was the weirdest thing. A couple of other spots on the fret board were a little off, but the C on the G string was just ridiculous.

I liked the bass a lot, but that was a deal breaker for me. I will keep on looking for one, and now I've identified that I like the late 60s models. But I won't buy one without playing it after this .

Mr_O'B likes this.
  2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    There's no money above the 5th 4th fret.

ed morgan and lostreality like this.
  3. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    I've never had a dead spot on a bass either.

4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I would have passed on it too.

I want everything right and will not settle for less!

jaybones likes this.
  5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Dead spots turn up where you don't expect. My Fender P has a minor one in the usual spot. I have a 2015 Thunderbird that has one in that spot. I'm in the process of eliminating it by tweaking this and that. I had a Ric that had one a little higher on the G string. It took a bit more to get rid of that one, but it was doable in the end. I think everything has a dead spot somewhere, but most of them are places we don't use or are so minor that it doesn't matter.

6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Same here!!!! Nothing in my life that is not fully functional. My EA260 Rivoli had some frets that weren't as clear as others, but when I had the neck block reglued (by Dan Erlewine himself) they went away. Could be the setup he did.

He told me "The original neck block was cut out, amateurishly, with a dull steak knife. A block of what looks like oak was roughed out with the same steak knife, the stuck in. They filled the substantial gaps with extra white glue, which held for a while. You were lucky enough to have it when it failed. I squared the edges after removing the homemade repair, cut a proper pine block, and set it well. Used proper Titebond which shrinks as it dries. Then I shimmed the neck, adjusted the truss rod, stuck the bridge to the body with carpet tape, adjusted the string height then set the into nation. It's probably better then it was when it left the factory."

Mr_O'B likes this.
  7. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    :thumbsup:
    I would have done the same thing! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
  9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    That is a great alternative if a person already owns a bass with a dead spot.
    I can't imagine someone purchasing a bass with a known dead spot when there are other available basses without dead spot issues!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    drummer5359 likes this.