1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a deal (fodera and vintage fender content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Apr 10, 2010.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Hi bass brothers, it's been a while!!!

I need your input on what somebody asks me.
    A dude offers me to trade my fodera imperial for his two vintage fenders jazz bass.
    one is a 1969 jazz and the other is a 1971 jazz.
    they are both all original and are great players!

what do you think?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    play the jazz basses. if you like them more than your fodera, take them. If you do not like them more, keep your fodera.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Since you are looking to trade/sell your bass this is basically a "what is my bass worth" thread but it has a new twist. :)

With no information on the Fender basses it is impossible to tell you if this is a good deal. Someone saying a bass is a 69 does not really verify it as such and there is a HUGE price difference between an all original 69 and one with replaced pickups, a refinish, etc, etc.

4. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    both fender basses are original, the dude who asks me this ios the first owner of both jazzes, he bought the 69 in 69 and the 71 in 72.
    so no refinish, everything is all original.
    the 71 is a little bit abused.

5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    here are some pictures

the one in better condition is the 69 and the one that is abused is the 71

P9090020.

P9090028.

6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    and here are the informations about both basses

about the 69

neck stamp 7 mar 69 A

plate number 234308

neck pu number 3149

bridge pu 1179

pots 032367x3

and for the 71

neck stamp 7 SEP 71 A

plate number 333728

neck pu 3351

bridge pu 0391

pots are the same numbers of the 69 032367x3

7. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    If the jazzes are good players, I'd do it without hesitation. Then I'd keep the jazz I like better and sell the other.

However, I don't quite see the point of asking. Which bass(es) do you prefer? If you like your fodera better than the better playing jazz, there's not much point in trading.

8. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    yeah, unless you decide against it, you should trade and sell one of the jazzes, or keep em both if moneys not the issue

9. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Rough guesses is that the 69 would be in the $5500-$6000 zone in that condition and the 71 would maybe be in the $3500 area?

Those are just rough guesses without looking at recent sales and ebay and what not.

10. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    money is not an issue, the fact is I love the imperial, but I play a 77 jazz, and I really do love jazz basses.
    i also tell myself that I have a fodera monarch wooten that I love so really my playing is different with jazz basses.
    it's like home.

11. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Well if you are not asking if it's a financially good decision than no one here can answer that question. Whether or not you PREFER the jazzes is something only you can figure out. Play them and if you like them better than the Fodera than trade.

12. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I just wanted to have some input from y'all because The fodera was made for me, I don't want to make any mistake.

13. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    do you think that financialy it's a good decision?

14. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    No,Keep the Fodera. It was made for you. you need to just spend more time with it. Nothing and I mean nothing is like a Fodera you could always find a jazz down the road there are millions out there. But only your one custom Fodera.

15. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    It is kind of a sticky position for me to weigh in here now that I am a partner at Fodera, but I am trying to do so without "taking it personally."

I own a 1964 all original Jazz Bass and it is a WONDERFUL instrument. I love it and it was one of my main players BEFORE I caught the Fodera bug. That said, there is just NO WAY that I would trade an instrument that was personally built for me by Vinny for a stock product of which their are literally thousands and thousands of.

Forget I am a partner here, there is exactly ONE bass like your Imperial in the world...just one. It sounds like there is something about the Imperial that you are not digging, otherwise you probably wouldn't even consider trading it. If this IS the case, it's probably worth a trip to the shop for us to work with you to get it dialed in EXACTLY the way you want before you think about parting with it.

Of course all of this is IMHO...

16. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    I would definitly not take both of those jazzes they are too close soundwise, choose wich is best let the guy pay the remaining gap in cash. Or what I would do, keep the Imperial and buy the best of those early cbs fenders.
    I have an Emperor 5 and a 1971 jazz bass its the greatest 2 basses I could wish for, I mean with those 2 basses I feel I can cover any type of music basically.

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If you are worried about the financial part, instruments, any instruments are not great investments. It so happens that the Fodera will hold a good amount of it's original value (it depreciates less than most other boutique basses, not exactly what I call a great investment.) and Fenders will appreciate albeit slowly.
    Forget about retiring on the value of any of these instruments.

If they play great, allow you to express you musicality, feel great, then you have found something of real value (not necessarily financial value)

Because a bass was made for you, means nothing, it's a tool. If there is another tool that works better for you, by all means rotate the stock.

Aside from some generalities, this is all about personal taste. I don't think any of these choices are bad, but its your music, your life.

18. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    To Steve and Jason:

Thanks for these words of wisdom!

Jason, I know it would be hard for not to take it personally because you saw the birth of my bass.
    I dig the imperial, I mean I really love it (except for what I told you in mp, but I'll get it fix when I'll come to NY).

really thanks for these words!!!!

I was kind of undecided because i love jazz basses, i grew up as a player with a fender jazz.

but I must admit that fodera basses allowed me to put my playing to another level, they are so easy to play and yes the necks are to die for.

I have always wanted to have a sixties jazz, but yeah, I can always find another 69 jazz, I might go try both fenders, but it's true that my imperial is unique (as is my monarch)

19. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    you are also right, I am going to try the hell out of the jazzes then decide myself.

but one thing is hard to fight against , the sentimental value even if basses are tools.

my first "real" bass was a fender marcus miller, it's one of the cheapest basses I have, but I'll never sell it.
    why?
    because it's my first and I learned to play on this instrument.
    yes it's a tool but it's also something that would really hurt my feelings if I lost the property of this bass.

20. I think this part answers the question.