A decent 6 string to learn on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Oct 30, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I ahve been playing bass now for 3yrs, i am finding playing my 4 string Fender Jazz Bass, quite restrictive. I am thinking of going to a 6 string bass, just for a bit of variation, but they all seem to be like $600 - bit steep for my budget. R they any kind of reasonably pried 6 string basses, that r quite good for some1 just 2 get used to using a 6 string on?
  2. I strongly reccommend a Cort Curbow or an Ibanez BTB406. The Cort has tighter spacing and the Ibanez is wider. I like the Cort better because i like the spacing and it comes stock with good electronics (bartolini). They both sound good, but different. The only bad thing (which stems from a good thing) about the Cort is that it is a bit akward to play sitting down because the lower horn is very small so you have complete access to all 25 frets. I dont play it sitting down, so thats not a problem for me. You can get both for well under $600.

BTW - If you do go with the Cort, get it from Mr. Curbow himself at www.curbow.com and he'll do a complete setup for free.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The cheapest way is to work out how to overcome your restrictions on your existing instrument. For example, if it's just some extra low notes, how about detuning rather than adding extra strings; if you need more high notes, are you sure you're making the best use of the higher areas of the neck?

The next cheapest way is to look for something secondhand - I'm sure you should be able to find something under $600; even it it's not so bright and shiny, you'll probably get more quality for your money.

BTW, don't let my first paragraph put you off moving to six strings. That's been my main choice for the last five or six years (couldn't decide whether I wanted a five with a low B or high C so went for the six ;) )... but remember that your growth as a musician is dictated much more by you willingness to overcome restrictions by practise and clever thinking than by spending money.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Take a look at the Dean Edge 6 string. It can be had at places like Musician's Friend for very low prices. I've played one in a local store and they're nice. If I were looking to explore 6 string I'd look no further than the Dean. My 5 string Edge has been a pleasure to own and play.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Aha, that would be one of these babies:

Fellow TB'er MKS has got one and I believe he's very happy with it - I think I've only played it once but remember it being a decent bass, especially for the price point.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    If I were you, I would look for somethingused. Maybe try to find a used Conklin GT-7 if you REALLY want more strings. The Dean is also a good suggestion.
  7. Yessir, that's my baby. And in red as well. How cute... Only difference is that I've got an active EQ circuit (four knobs on the front). I can recommend it as a really cheap way into 6 string basses. The main thing about sixes is that you need to feel comfortable with string spacing, neck width and neck profile (how it feels on the back of the neck). This is a more refined issue for 4 strings, but gets ever more important the wider they get. I'd really recommend the best thing to do is to get out there and try a few.

For what it's worth, I really like the Cort Curbow 6 that's in Bass NW right now... MMMmmmmm, Luthite! YMMV.

Happy hunting.
  8. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    AH! I have one of those, too, but mine has a quilted top. I really like mine. Just put a new set of really light rounds on it-- mwaa for days. :cool: