Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Decent sounding 3 EQ onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigBohn, Nov 1, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Any suggestions, complaints, or recommendations for a good 3 band EQ (Bass, Mid, and Treble) onboard preamp that runs at 18V or higher? Thanks

2. Bartolini makes an 18V version of the NTMB.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Why do you need it to be 18 volts? If it runs well on 9, why bother with the extra expense of batteries?

That said, the best pre out there right now is the J-Retro (or U-Retro).

4. Maybe the guy's a heavy popper or hard picker. Even a very well-designed op-amp might not have sufficient headroom to get an uncompressed tone on 9V supply voltage.

I've heard that the East preamps have serious noise issues. Have those been resolved? I thought briefly about getting one in my FBB custom, but decided on the Bartolini NTBT because I don't need that much tonal flexibility.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got a J-Retro and don't have any problems with noise (and I'm a signal chain clean freak). It's not about the flexibility for me, it's about the tone.

6. To each his own, I guess. I'm a fan of the Bartolini sound anyway.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    allright analogkid and pacman, thanks for the advice. i will look into the j-retro, but does it work for a bass like the ESP LTD C305? Its not "Fender" style and has a full wood body.

8. Yo BigBohn (what happened to the last two letters of your name?).
    Oh well, anyway, I have the Bartolini NTMB on all three of my active basses and I like them a lot. Mine are wired for active/passive operation with push/pull volume, mid shift by pulling the mid knob, and coil cut switch. It's an awesome preamp that really doesn't need tweaking, but if you want to EQ radically, it still manages to sound good.
    The East/Retro preamp is available in different configurations. The J-Retro is made for the control plate on a J-Bass, but the U Retro is made for basses that don't have a control plate, so I'm guessing that's what you'd want.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bmm bmm bmm bmm ...

Bartolini Bartolini bo-Bartolini
    Bananapana fo-fartolini
    Me my mo-martolini
    Bartoleeeeeeeeeeeeeeni.

::: Butthead voice on :::

... hhhhhhhhhhhehehhehheh hehehhehh hhhhhhhheheh heh ... he said, "fartolini."

::: Butthead voice off :::

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    lol