Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A DECISION Must be Made about an SWR Rig!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Dec 25, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    SM400 420Watt RMS
    Triad III (2 of them)
    for 1600 dollars

i saw this deal from the internet from a guy that doesnt live to far from here..i live in switzerland where everything is expensive. i was intending on buying a new gallien krueger 700 rb with a 2 10 rbh for the same price. but then i saw this!! i am a little worried about the head being a old head and the triads i hope are tight because i like to slap. the point is, i have very little time to make a dicision. if i dont pounce someone else will. please give me some opinions...and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR. thank you...HELP.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you like slapping, you can't go wrong with an SWR rig...

From what I remember, the Triad is very versatile (certainly due to its speaker config). But my question is : why 2 of them ? But after all, why not.

3. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    As a fan of that particular cabinet I have found that, due to its low sensitivity, I prefer the sound quality of a bridged SM-400 played through a single Triad. Of course, a lone Triad may not be enough for your purposesÂ….

Merry Christmas to you as well.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I was looking at those cabs for a bit. I think they're 4 ohms. Can that particular head be run at 2 ohms? (Guess so?)

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    no i dont think that it can handle 2 ohms. why is that a problem...well i really am not sure but damn i am really pshyched about seiing this amp. wow..i cant wait...

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Because you'll eventually fry your amp pushing a 2 ohm load. The amp isn't designed to push that much current. One solution would be to wire the cabinets in series, giving you an 8 ohm load, but then your amp would be way underpowering the speakers. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but you may not get the sound you expect.

Try before you buy, if you can...

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Oops, I just saw the new review of the SM-400s on the Bass Gear Review Page. Apparently, the SM-400s will push 300w into 2 ohms stereo. Not sure if this is per channel or not...

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That amp doesn't really have enough juice to do the Triad justice. I run an SWR Bass 750 into my Triad and it's about right. The Triad is a reasonably flat cab. That's a good thing if that's what you really want. A lot of bassists prefer a colored cab with a low-mid hump, for instance. If that's you, you won't like the Triad. OTOH, if you want the sound of the bass as passed along by the amp, the Triad is a good choice. I think it needs plenty of watts, however. Running two of them with a SM400 would probably be a disaster, I'm afraid. Once you send the 400 into clipping the coils will be at risk. Of course, if you play low-volume gigs, you might get away with it.

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    what? sorry i dont really get what you mean by clipping. and damn, i dont really want to hear that it will end in disaster..you are ruining a young mans dreams here. but could you explain what the problem would be with this? and another thing...with the price and all....Is it a good deal? would you buy it? thanks for the replies. michael

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for a deal? no. pricewise for used gear that seems a little high. you can pick up triads all day for $400 on ebay, plus another 4-500 for a sm400s in nice shape.

i sold my triad for $300. it's all i could get for it locally. they're not worth that much used.

as for the clipping issue - the thing is that triads are pretty inefficient cabinets. they take a lot of power to be loud compared to a more efficient cab like a goliath 3. so because they need a lot of power, you're gonna need to turn up your amp. and as your amp is turned up, it's possible to push it to a point where you start getting distortion. and solid state power amp distortion is REALLY bad for speakers, which could lead to fried voice coils and an eventual need for recones.

right before i sold my triad i was using it with my 1000w poweramp, THAT sounded nice and was pretty loud, but i had to run the poweramp pretty hot. compare that to my goliath sr which requires 20% power to kill small animals.

my advice? try the rig out. if you like how it sounds and if it's plenty loud for you without cranking the amps power, see if he'll go down to...1100? find some examples of others going used online. and make a reasonable offer from there. if you like how it sounds but it's not loud enough maybe try and score a deal on the cabs and put together a powerful rack? (a QSC RMX1450 plus a cheap preamp could squeak in under 600 bucks)

good luck

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree that in the States $1.6K for the rig would not be a great deal but overseas it seems that you have to pay more for everything. If the equipment is in great condition it may be a good deal overseas. I also agree with Boogie that you would be under powering 2 Triads with the SM-400. From your description it sounds like it is not the 400S model so bridged you'd get about 400-450 RMS @ 8 ohms. I know from personal experience that a bridge SM-400 pushes a Goltiath 4-10 very well but the Triads (even a single one) would probably desire much more wattage (particularly on the low end). A single 8 ohm Triad would be more reasonable.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh, holy crap! you're in NEPAL?!?!?!

i didn't see that! :eek:

um...seems like a good deal then. 1600 is what you'd pay here for two new triads if you didn't get a great deal on them.

plus, with two triads @ 400 w it will be louder than one triad @ 400w, so maybe you won't have to push it so hard.

13. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks so much for the replies..okay i am gonna have breakfast and all then im going to check it out...damn im nervous..loaded with money and all. i wonder what will happen, thanks alot for all your opinions i will see if i like it..thanks again.

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Do yourself a favor.Get the GK.........

15. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    get the gk...yea i was planning to before. but if i can get a swr sm 400 with two triads for the same price as a new gallien krueger 700 rb with a 2 10 rbh cabinet dont you think the swr would be the better buy? and i will post pictures of it as soon as my sister gets back with the digital camera. mike

16. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    The older SWR amps have a better reputation, from what I've heard. Since the original owner/designer sold the company, it's comparable to when Fender sold their company to CBS and the quality went down. I'd take an original issue SM 900 and a rack mounted effects unit over a Mo Bass any day.

17. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've played both and the 700RB is louder than the 400S.Tone is subjective, but I really like think the GK tone cuts through better than the SWR stuff.As far as the Triad it is a very weird cabinet.By weird I mean the crossover is set at a point that the 10 and 15 will drop out at certain times which is what it's supposed to do but it's just kind of strange to hear it crossover from the 10 to the 15.It is a great sounding cabinet when your playing alone but tends to get lost in a band situatuion.I've also had the 2-10 RBH and I think that it is one of the best 2-10's out there.It is loud,punchy,solid and will cut through nicely.The rockback feauture is also really cool.I think it would be louder than one Triad.If you added another one later that would be even better.........

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

Prove it.

all the designs that were around when he was have barely changed. the new ones like the 350 and 750 are quite nice, and built like tanks. the only "shining star of suck" is the mobass, but IMHO every manufacturer is allowed a sucky product every now and then. i just won't buy it.

19. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Ditto for me. I played through a Moby in a local store, and was extremely unimpressed. However, I am now the proud owner of a new Stella/Power 750 rig, and all I can say is, it drools...it's replacing my Trace Elliot V-Type 220w head as my main gigging setup (but I'm still keeping one of my V-Types for recording and quieter gigs), and I'm using the Stella with a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 for guitar, too. Definitely the best preamp on the market, IMO. Fantastic for bass and absolutely killer for guitar! And the Power 750 kicks some serious boo-tay!

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I'm with ya, Jason. Urban myths die hard.