1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a defect in a bass seller was not aware of

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ialma, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Dear TBers,
    this story involves a seller which sold me his bass and shipped it overseas.
    The bass had not been used for some time and once here, my luthier tried to set it up.
    Surprise surprise, the truss rod is stuck. It turned a quarter turn and then bounced back.
    I'm quite sure of the honesty of the seller, he's not a bass player and had this particular instrument in his studio, but now?
    The bass is playable, but cannot be tweaked anymore.
    Italian law allows the seller to ask its money back or to ask for a reduction of the price but I have no idea how it works in USA.
    Any idea is more than welcome, thank you!

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Temo davvero che, il cosa si faccia negli USA (dove senz'altro è in vigore un'avanzata legislazione in termini di tutela ed evizioni) possa purtroppo non venire incontro.

Si rischia più un'assimilazione al "debito d'onore" (obbligazione di gioco) per acquisti virtuali che una tutela dell'affidamento... Insomma l'acquisto è transoceanico ed occasionale (nessuno dei due è un operatore del settore, bensì solo privati cittadini)

Il truss rod è tradizionale o a doppia azione?

Differentemente, se lo strumento val la pena, si valutano varie opzioni.

A presto
    Wallace.

I am really afraid that what they arrange in the US (where there's certainly an advanced legislation in force in terms of protection and evictions) cannot unfortunately meet.

It can more likely sort out an assimilation to a "debt of honor" (obligation of game) in case of virtual purchase instead of a protection of legitimate... And the purchase is transatlantic and occasional (neither is a business operator, only individuals)

The truss rod is a traditional or a double action one?

In contrast if the instrument is worth we can evaluate various options.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Contact the seller right away and let him know the problem, you both will find a solution:full return, partial refund o maybe a new neck who knows.

4. Personally, if you believe in the integrity of the seller, I'd ask him for a discount on the price (to be mutually agreed) and I'd put it toward getting the truss rod freed/fixed (if you like the bass & there's always the old extra washers trick).

G.

5. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    As with any seller of intregrity, it is perfectly acceptable to notify them of the problem and come to a mutual agreement. If the bass is exactly as described sans the truss rod problem, I would work towards a discount which is fair to both parties, especially in consideration of the shipping costs involved. It wouldn't be fair to punish or take advantage of the seller.

I have had a couple of minor issues that have shown up (bad jack and a bad pot) unknown to the seller. In both cases, I notified the seller. They both fell all over themselves offering to do whatever it takes to make it right, both offering discounts which exceeded cost of repair and replacement.

In the end, I elected to absorb the issues as I would have done so anyway if I had purchased used from a pawn shop or off of Craigs List (free ad listing). Again this was out of respect to the sellers for thier generous discount offers.

Good people are good people. Their word and reputation means more to them than any sale. Hopefully, resolution will be smooth.

6. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Have you contacted the seller? Thats probably the right and gentlemanly thing to do before posting here on TB. Give him a chance to make it right or at least work something out with you.

7. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If you wish or have to keep the instrument, a stuck truss rod nut should be able to be freed. Use a Q-tip, small piece of cotton wrapped on a small stick or small brush to apply penetrating oil at the end of the truss rod nut and the threads on the truss rod. Small amounts should be applied and care taken to keep as much of the penetrating oil as possible from getting on the wood of the neck. The penetrating oil should be allowed to work it's way into the threads of the nut for several hours. Then try turning the nut in the direction that will loosen it. If it does not turn, reapply the penetrating oil and try again later. This may take a day or two and require several applications of the oil or it may work the first time.

The bass should be kept in a vertical position so gravity will help the oil wick down the threads.

When the nut comes loose, a small amount of lubricant should be applied to the threads inside the nut before it is re-installed.

Hope this helps.

mech

8. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    I talked to the seller,
    he blamed the factory being this particular problem a known issue (old Carvin / blocked truss rod) and left me in the cold.
    The bass has not been bought through TB.
    Not many ideas now, any suggestion is more than welcome.

9. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    If it was a known issue, he committed a fraudulent act by not informing you prior to the sale. If it was not known, then it has nothing to do with the factory as he has had the bass
    for a while. He should own up to it and do right by you. Otherwise, you could always let his name be known on TB and let the community pursue it's own mob justice.

10. Look at the post one up from yours that I quoted here. It is the one by "Mech". Worth a shot. Sorry to hear this happened to you though :(

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!!!:hyper:

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    If you paid with credit card, paypal, etc then file a claim. Other than that, you may be stuck. Hope the fix suggested above works for you. That sucks!

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That sucks, how did you purchase it? Do you have any buyer protection?

I bet you my bottom dollar the seller knew the truss rod didn't work, probably why he sold it...

Hopefully you can fix it, but if it is an old Carvin there is a good chance that truss rod is finished.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Lots of truss rod problems are easily fixed, as long as nobody makes the problem worse--like by applying too much force to the nut.

Try mech's approach in #7, above. And Dan Erlewine's repair book has pretty lengthy descriptions of addressing problems like this.

15. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Thanks for the suggestions my friends, the seller offered a minimum refund, and I decided to go that way. A return was not worth the price of the instrument, same for a complete removal of the fretboard. I'll try your suggestions, hopefully everything will go for the best.
    Thanks again everyone for the help!

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm not sure how the neck on that bass is constructed, but I believe Carvin will supply you with a replacement truss rod.

17. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    the problem is to replace it. I should remove the fretboard, which is a long and expensive work