1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A depressing Situation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ok, I've got a long story to tell and if you TB folks don't mind I'd like to blow off some serious steam. I'm in the high school band. We have 74 people and compete against bands that are 150+ due to our school being large. We compete against those larger , richer bands and still manage to get in the top 4 at state championships these past three years. When I was in 8th grade our high school band was pathetic. But the same year my class moved into it, we got a new Director: Mr. G. You see Mr. G was the first director that led Florence High to all superior in Marching band and Concert band. He is young, only 30 and has been with my class since I was a freshman. We all loved Mr. G and most became very close to him. He was like a father figure to me, a great guy. Embarrassingly I'll admit he was somewhat of a hero to me, a role model. Of course despite his obvious charisma and the fact that most of us adored him, some were always out to get him. See, the name of the game in Florence is scandal. My town has a bad reputation for dirty launBdry. Anyhow, there were people who opposed him. Me and many of my peers defended him though, no matter what they'd say about his sometimes harsh methods of making us perfect as a band.This year has been especially difficult . Many of the senior class don't like Mr.G and many got kicked out . You see , our band though small is very tight knit , like a family, so this affects all of us. Due to egos and people being selfish and spoiled this year has been turbulent, even though we are the best we've ever been. I stood by Mr.G all through criticism and tons of bull****.

Here's where it gets bad.Last friday, three days before State Concert Festival (VERY IMPORTANT PERFORMANCE) Mr.G is mysteriously gone. The Assistant director Mr.D informs us that he doesn't know where G is and doesn't know what happened, all he tells us is that he'll be directing at State competition. Most of us begin to worry for Mr.G, fearing for his safety thinking something bad has happened to him. Fastforward to Monday. We go to state,make the highest scores we've ever made, still worrying about Mr. G. This afternoon , our principal informs us of his whereabout. It seems Mr. G , a man I once thought of as a father type figure and role model is permantly suspended from teaching and will be on trial for having an affair with a student, a senior that was in our color guard. Though she is 18, her parents are pressing charges and he ain't never coming back. The little whore was willing and they supposedly engaged in explicit emails and other crap.

So there it is. This role model is actually a DIRTBAG!
    I've had to keep my cool around the other members of the band, I'm a section leader and it'll look bad if I over react infront of them.BUT DAMNIT!
    I feel betrayed.Like a cold knife in my back and the backs of my peers. This guy told me all the time of how bad my cussing was and my occasional use of drugs was bad and here he is screwing another student! This role model is A CREEP!
    I am extremely angry for my band. I could care less about that worthless ****bag now, I'm only worried about the band .

Rant over. Thank you folks , I really just needed to get that off of my chest and have someone listen. Feel free to respond however.

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Wow page that sucks man. Not much you can do about it except stay positive and keep doing your part in the band to the best of your ability. Maybe the next guy who comes along won't be such a pedofile, but until then you gotta keep on keepin' on. Be thankful that you have the talkbass community here to rant to. :)

AuG

3. For the lazy, a teacher he respected was having an affair with a student, essentially betraying his trust.

4. Well that's an easier way of putting it! Should I of kept my rant shorter? Do I need to shorten it?

5. :eyebrow:

She was 18, according to the original post. Not saying what he did was right, but it was "less wrong" than pedophilia.

I've noticed this seems to be a trend with high school teachers who are around students alot. My old high school had at least one basketball coach who had "girlfriends" from his senior girls' team each year (which was ignored, as we were regularly in the state Finals), one band director who dated a student (promptly canned--she was 18 though, and her parents knew but didn't object, but it was still an extremely stupid move), and another band director who got engaged to a former student (several years after both were out of the school system... it was kinda through a fluke that they ever even saw each other again...).

Anyways, sorry about the situation that you're in. Hopefully whoever you get as a replacement will be able keep the band's quality high, and that the inevitable crackdown by the administration on the music department's staff won't make communication difficult between students and faculty. I know that our own "crackdown" made band a much more formal, by-the-books (read: less fun) place for a few years.

6. The administration here already sucks the life out of the arts at my school.

7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Dude, that sucks.
    Even though she was the age of consent (I assume it is 18, maybe 17??) , there is a line in which a teacher should not cross. It may not be against the law outright, but moral issues abound!!
    And that doesn't make her a whore either. Even at 18, kids (no offence) are very impressionable. And if you say he was very charisamatic, then she may have been taken by him like you were, but to a much deeper degree.

Good luck. There are plenty of good people out there to look up too.
    Just not Charles Barkley though!!:D

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Point taken. I was assuming that since the teacher had been with the class since page was a freshman, that he probably would have done the dirty e-mails and such with this girl since then (assuming she was/is the same age as page).

Again, this is all an assumption. I should have kept the rest of your post before I snipped it, I was going to echo your statement about the current "trend" of young highschool teachers having relationships with their students. I remember a gym teacher at my local highschool and middle school (coach of the girls volleyball team, no less) having affairs with multiple girls, some of whom were not of legal age. :rollno: I agree that there is a boundary that should not be crossed by a teacher and student.

AuG

9. Nah, you needed to vent man :smug:

There are a lot of people thought that get scared off by posts more than a paragraph so I thought I could be of some assistance.

My personal take on the matter... there is a certain line that should not be crossed in the teacher/student relationship, especially in dealing with teenagers and there you have it.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That is lame. Really lame. At least you guys kicked some butt without him!

-Mike

11. most of the locals i talked to in meridian (and others who grew up down on the coast) all said that most of mississippi is all about scandal. meridian was a pretty corrupt little town.

of course, if there's no dirty laundry to find, it has to be created. that kind of thing happens in meridian, both for minor things (can you believe what he did?) and major things (cop gave DUI to local official, weeks later was "busted" for being drug trafficker). is there any chance that this was made up? he'd still be out of a job, but at least you could respect him.

still, i hate to see how this is happening more often. or maybe we only hear of it more often. it's so predictable.

robb.

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That sucks. But honestly, no man is perfect, and you should hold no man above yourself. If you start to think a person is flawless, that's right about the time that you catch him having an affair, or something. Just do your best to be as much like the things you respected about him, and as little like the things you hate. I know it sucks, but these are the kind of things that shape you as a man.

This also a good lesson on people never being quite what they seem. Keep that in mind for the rest of your life.

13. I know how much this sucks, man. When I was a Junior, our campus cop got kicked out for having a fling with an 18-year old senior. He was a great guy. He was never mean or rude, unlike the predecessor. He even used to hang with us, kick the hacky around, or just talk. He was a great campus cop.

Course, 2 years later they got married, but that's beside the point.

Rock on
    Eric

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    he isnt totally to blame. the girl is 50% of the equation. i'm soory but those of you out there who have daughters that age need to keep a very close eye on them. i've seen 18 yo girls who look 25 and dress with very little. summer is coming and the little shorts with the visible thongs and such, sometimes it's just hard to tell. keep an eye on your daughters folks. they are much more aware of their sexuality than you think. and we're guys and musicians so.....

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow thats rough , stay strong and i am sure you will be able to deliver the talent at the competition.