1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Designs REDDI as Mic-Pre

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Elder Rynok, Mar 3, 2018.

REDDI as Pre for PR40 (in-home recording)

Poll closed Mar 17, 2018.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, never... YOU'RE DUMB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, temporarily, but get a Mic-Pre ASAP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I hate your setup, so I won't comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other, I will comment below

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    So... I am running a used Heil PR40 + DI signal from my amp for recording into a Behringer X32 (I know it's not ideal recording device, but I needed a good live+recording capable device). I'm noticing I have to run the gain very hot on the mixer for the PR40.

That info is slightly tangential to main question but helps preface the fact I was looking to get a nice Pre for the PR40 when I stumbled across someone using the REDDI for a vocal mic. Now, I love the DI out of my amp for flavor (Super Bassman), so I'm not looking to replace that, but I was thinking of getting a REDDI for small gigs when I want to bring less equipment and to use as a Mic-Pre for the PR40. Does anyone have any experience (not opinions) on going down this route? Or, owns a REDDI and would be willing to give it a try?

Either way, I want to get a REDDI as I can also use it record on it's own, but that is a lesser priority, if I just need a Mic-Pre for the PR40. I love my tone, for the band I'm recording for, just want to improve the quality of the PR40.

Edit: for spelling

2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    1.) The PR-40 is a relatively low output mic.
    2.) Mic level is lower than instrument and line level.
    3.) REDDI is designed to accept line and instrument level signal.
    4.) REDDI is a low gain device.

If you look at all of these factors, it doesn't look like the REDDI will provide adequate gain for the PR40. I looked it up, and the only video I found was using a mic into a mic pre, then into the REDDI. It wasn't being used as a pre, it was being used as an effect.

Why do you need to bring your own mic pre to gigs? The soundman/engineer should be able to handle a low output mic with no problem. If you really want to bring your own pre, there are many to choose from, and almost all will take instrument level to use as a DI.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. REDDI is only going to provide about 16dB gain, which is far less than the 50-60 dB you'll want to drive the PR40. Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the X32 preamps? From everything that I've heard, they're MIDAS (or at least MIDAS designed) and no slouches. Always good to have other flavors on hand, but you'll still need to provide the same 50-60 dB of gain from a different preamp.

4. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    I don't, the X32 is what I wanted to have for live and recording at home. The REDDI was really mainly only for home recording. But sounds like this is not the solution I thought it would be.
    I felt like pushing +32dB gain on a single mic was a little much. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

5. Nah, not too much gain at all. By way of comparison, the Shure SM7 takes most of 60 dB to get it to really open up. The REDDI would be a great addition to any studio, so if you have designs on it for bass, that’s justification enough for the purchase. No need to overthink, just use your ears and if it sounds good... it is!