a details-oriented *******'s reveiw of certainbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessenoah, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessenoah

jessenoah

Jul 18, 2009
    nor cal
    hey yall, Ive lurked for a longtime, but finally decided to post something, Im a long time member of the gibson forums, and the MLP forums, but I felt like picking up a 60s style jazz bass like me favorite bassists John Paul Jones, and Noel Redding.

I have seen that alot of people seem to be intregued by certainbass, I have had the pleasure to play alot of nice old guitars, and a few old basses, my favorite being a guild starfire bass that sounded like geddy lee with action that was easy and low, point being, I am very good @ picking a good guitar/bass from a group of bad ones

Let me say, I spent close to 1300 on the bass, got full 60s spects, with the reverse tuners and threaded bridge, clay dots, nitro laquer, fralin Pups, all the best of the best.

As a player, This bass is in a class of its own, the action was low to begin with, I set it up even lower with no fretbuzz, and every note requires little effort or attention to play-it is so easy. the finish is well applied, thin and very comfortable to play on. personally, I like the colors of the burst, but the yellow seems a bit to vibrant, but obviously it will mellow with time. also under the pickgaurd, the shape of the burst isnt historically correct, but it is hidden by the pickgaurd. the intonation is perfect, the tone is very good (through a pair of old acoustic 136 combo amps), and the action is very easy

some of the bad, like I said, the shape of the burst under the pickgaurd doesent follow the shape of the guitar that well, also, the parts are just "plain parts", like you would get from stewmac or allparts, which isnt to say they feel or perform like cheap stuff, they just arnt top of the line parts.

I hope I dont come off as a robot puppet for certain bass, Im just a satisfied customer who has seen some questions about his guitars

ON TO THE PICTURES!
    DSCF0488.gif
    DSCF0487.gif

and last but not least, my les paul :D
    DSCF0503.gif

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Did you spec this bass VVT, or did you opt for his Varitone circuit? Also, I noticed that you went with a 20 fret neck. IIRC, David normally specs a 21 fret neck. Either way, it's a beautiful axe!

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm guessing VVT since he got it spec'd to 60's.

4. pmgleenis

pmgleenis Inactive

Apr 30, 2009
    The bodies and necks he uses are not in the same league as Allparts bodies or necks. There are many people out there using better parts as far as tuners and as good if not better pick ups and using US Fender bodies and necks. You bought a chinease body and neck and have zero resale value. You got taken for a rider. I'd bet $100.00 that the finish is not nitro either.

5. pmgleenis

pmgleenis Inactive

Apr 30, 2009
    I'll bet you too that if you take the pick guard off, the bass has huge routing between the neck pickup and the control panel. At best he may use a Mighty Mite body, at worst, cheap imported Chinease crap. I'm dumbfounded people would pay what they do for his basses. 99% of his "testimonials" are fake too.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Where is your proof of these statements?

He represented in other threads that he now has a private company in CA manufacturing his bodies (I don't remember if they do his necks), and that the stock pickups that he uses are Japanese.

I am in no way related to CertainBass at all, nor do I own one of his products. I am interested in his products, as most of the folks who actually own one like them!

I can understand David's frustration sometimes when people that have never touched his product slams him. I know from experience how difficult it is to run a small business; I own and run a commercial real estate business with one partner, and we have to everything ourselves. It can be time consuming and draining, but we are passionate about what we do, so we plow forward.

As a point of reference, I'm a player has been around over thirty years, and I have had many basses. Two years ago, I had Nino Valenti build me a bass in conjunction with Tim Cloonan, and the experience was anything but smooth. There were many problems, but we all kept our heads and eventually, the bass that came out of the process was pretty great. My point is this - anyone can throw rocks across the internet at anyone. That doesn't solve any problems, and leads to animosity all around. If you really want good customer service, keep your head and deal with it privately! Given how passionate Mr. Certain is about his product, (now I don't have any proof of this upcoming statement) I am "certain" that the guy sincerely wants to deliver a quality product for working bassists at an affordable price point. I like that philosophy.

Flame Away!!

7. Delton

Delton

Apr 13, 2008
    Pittsford, NY
    Well, here you go. After reading "your" statement that if you take the pickguard off there would be a huge routing between the neck pickup and the control panel.
    Below is a photo of my J-bass made by David without the pick guard.
    Please show me the "huge" routing...?
    As far as not understanding why anyone would pay what they do for his basses, all I can say is after I got the first one, I went out and bought a 2rd one. I like them that much. Plays just as good, if not better that my old 76 Fender Jazz!
    Now a question for you, pmgleenis. Did you ever play one of his basses?

Delton

Jazzguts.gif

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Well, there is that swimming pool routing around the pickup.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Let's keep this one as clean as possible, people. Regardless of the history, it *is* possible to state your opinion respectfully and then to let it ride. And I'd just like to mention up front that if anybody pulls out that tired old "people with a lot of TB posts are at best collectors who can't really play" chestnut, prepare to back it up. I'm really, *really* tired of that particular fallacious argument. Best not to go there. :)

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    what does that route around the PU mean? Is that a chinese body or Mighty Mite?? I'm just curious - not trying to start anything here - just wondering why it would be routed that way...

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks like a MM body (or similar), at least the route. The swimming pool allows you to change the pickup position (i.e. '62 position vs. '75 position).

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Interesting - I thought the 60's vs 70's positioning would be changed between the bridge PU and not the neck...well, you learn a new thing everyday!

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It was the position of the bridge pickup that was changed in the '70s.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    yeah, that's what I originally thought - that's why I don't understand the routing around the neck PU on that body...

Darkhorse just explained that it was for changing between 60's and 70's spacing...

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Wow, I'm blown away by the vehemence of the bashing here, especially when it starts with "I'll bet...".

Here's a guy who likes his bass, and writes a pretty detailed review of why, including the parts that aren't "perfect". What right do any of us have to tell him that he's a moron for buying it?
    oh that's right, this is the internet... :rollno:

To the OP - glad you got the bass you like, and that you like the bass you got. That's a good outcome in my book.

16. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Check the neck position too. Try a early 60's guard on a mid 70's Jazz bass and see how that works for ya... Never worked for me.
    :)

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    +1 to all of that,

people juat can't wait to bash....

19. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I'm not here to bash a nice looking bass but, I do have a question. Why does the picture of the bass without the pickguard not match the grain or wood of the OP's original picture.

Edit: OOPS! just realized that it's not the Op's bass. Carry on...

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, can't help you there, I've swapped them before mine all worked fine.

The change is also documented in "The Fender Bass an Illustrated History" by Black and Molinaro, pg. 59. It was the bridge pickup that was relocated.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.