a details-oriented *******'s reveiw of certainbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessenoah, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I could really care less where the "parts bass" parts are made. As long as it plays well and sounds good and the owner likes it what does it matter? Every Certainbass I've seen on TB or Ebay looked totally up to snuff enough to peek my interest in them.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Im 100% aware of the bridge position move. However, when I've tried the swap it was never *quite* right, at least on the vintage basses Ive had (trying to put a 62 RI guard on a 77 Jazz, for instance.) Just going by my personal experience...I've never measured the distance though.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    shrug.gif

Like I said, I can't help you with that one. Could be your difficulties are due to nothing more dastardly than the dreaded spectre of "production variation" that happens from time to time. Otherwise, I have no idea why the ones I've done fit and your's didn't.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    :rollno:

And we wonder why CertainBass threads go down the crapper...

Do a little research before you post, my friend. You might learn something.

5. The main reason people slam him is because of his troll-like behaviour on TalkBass, not his product. He himself is a big cause of the animosity. If you want to see an example, PM me and I'll forward you the PM he sent me.

His basses look pretty good and the owners seem happy but I will never deal with him.

6. I agree. I'd also like to point out that David Certain is one of the worst offenders when it comes to this.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Could very well be true. I've been wrong before, and probably will be again ! :D

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That's not a swimming pool rout.

This is:

Nashville_pool.jpg

[​IMG]

These are from that other purveyor of cheap knock off basses...FENDER.

9. So are going Nashville with that Tele?

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    From the pups, I'm guessing '72 Tele Custom.

11. I can't tell from the pic if there's a third pup in there.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't recall most Nashville Teles having a HB at the neck. Maybe I'm wrong.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Any oversized routing is a swimming pool rout. I wouldn't be surprised the if one in that Certain bass body was made with the same template/program that could also be used for a P pickup. Maybe even a combined template/program including the neck pocket routing.

14. Now that's an instrument.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As an admin, I've had to be involved in cleaning up a number of these threads when they've gone south. I'd like to head this one off at the pass. One group tends to start hating on the basses - often without having played them - then the other group starts slamming the group which slammed the basses, often intimating that people with X number or more of posts can't be real players because they spend too much time on TB and not enough time practicing. As somebody with a high post count due to both my fondness for TB and my mod/admin status, it should be no mystery that I'm not a big fan of this line of attack/defense. Rather than dwell on the past, I'd prefer to remind everybody involved in this thread not to repeat it. :)

16. DavidCertain

DavidCertain

May 7, 2008
    St. Louis
    Sole Proprietor, CertainBass
    99% of my testimonials are fake? now, come on. just the air of disrespect of this causes one to think one cannot get a fair hearing here? could it be? this is the kind of stuff that makes these threads get raucus. i vote for shutting the thread down now, just for this post alone. i don't use "Chinease" or any crap.

ok, guys, here's what you do: if you have a question, PM me or better yet, email me your question through my website, obviously, certainbass.com. the rest of you can continue your speculation here.

it was 1968 that they moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. i make your jazz either way. all your requirements dictate what i use, where it comes from and your price. i make custom basses one at a time for each customer. i enjoy doing this, and i want you to love your bass. the parts are mostly production parts, but the basses are not. and all my basses play great, that's a big part of why people come to me: my build techniques and set-up makes a bass that sings. people will specify they want the tight-routed neck pickup rout, and i do that. on the other hand i have customers who don't care what color the bass is even, they want a bass that sounds, plays and looks great for a good price. but if money is no object, let me know. i'll take good care of you either way. our custom finishes are second to none.

now, it seems the main topic of most concern to talkbassers is what parts do i use? YOU specify. I quote YOU. it depends on what you want, and you can have anything you want. all parts that i use are high quality and make a quality bass. i don't use anything exclusively, it depends on what you want on where i go get it. i've changed my sources quite a bit the last few years, and i will probably continue to do so. do i build basses with american parts? yes. do i build basses with foreign parts? yes. a guy emails me and asks if he can get a bass for $500; i'll fix him up. if you want, say, a '63 jon paul jones bass like the OP, i do that. my standard for parts is i don't use any parts on your bass that i don't have on my own basses that i play, and i provide a lifetime warranty. i am a professional bassist. my working arsenal is 4 basses, and one is my base price Jazz bass, sunburst, tort guard, dot inlay rosewood neck, the classic. I LOVE IT! that's my testimonial on CertainBasses. this must be the 1 of the 100 testimonials that are real!

Mingusdynasty likes this.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Done.

I will confer with the other mods/admins about this recurring issue.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.