A different bass amp for rock and jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hinatalky, May 10, 2005.

1. Hinatalky

May 7, 2005
    I'm an all-rounder bassist whereby my genre surrounds mostly rock and pop etc but i would consider going into jazz too :) Would if there is a need to get a specfic bass amp each for rock and jazz? :meh: I'm presently looking for a bass amp that is around 75~100 watts that would handle these both genres well. I prefer warm and round tones too ;) And my budget is about $300~$500. Any recommended brands of bass amp? Thx :)
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no need to get different. you may want to eq a bit differently on the amp or your bass (including pickup selection), and of course you technique will have a lot to do with the different tones you're after.

not surprisingly to those who have seen me post, i'd reccomend getting the loudest amp you can afford that you like the tone of, (watts can be rated differently by different companies so just saying get the amp with the most watts doesn't always work). In any event, i would look for at least 100 watts, more is better.

in your range you'll probably end up getting a combo. (don't be afraid to try out used stuff). in that case, i'd reccomend getting on e that can accept an extension cabinet. (generally this will be a combo with an 8 ohm internal speaker where the amp portion itse4lf can handle a 4 ohm load. in that case it will have an extension jack where you can plug in an additional 8 ohm speaker cab). i reccomend this as if in the future you need more volume, you won't have to scrap the entire rig, you can just purchase a seperate speaker to increase your volume.

as far as speaker compliment is concerned, i'd look at getting at an amp with at least one 12" driver, one 15" or two 10's even better.
  3. I am construing the question to mean something that is moderately warm and has a focused, quality tone. Jazz could be anything from Marcus Miller sizzle slap to deep, growling upright Christian McBride. You can play jazz with any amp but some amps are harsh sounding and may offend sound quality-minded jazz members and audiences.
    In other words, why don't you check out:

the Yorkville XS, Ashdown EB series or Eden "nemises" or "silver" series. You may need to find an aggressive dealer for the Eden stuff to get under budget.

Stay away from harsh sounding amps (don't want to name 'em here).
  4. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ll second the Eden Nemesis line – I’ve had the 210 combo for about 5 years, and I use it all the time. It’s my main practice and rehearsal amp, and it does fine in small clubs. I like round, warm P-bass tone, and can easily get it from this amp. Small, light weight, and easy to use keep it on my never-sell list.
  5. I use an EA iamp350 or AI clarus for both rock and jazz. I do usually use different basses though.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm also looking into a new amp for jazz and funk, around the same price, but 30 pounds or lighter. I like the look of the Yorkville XM50, but 50 watts may not be quite enough. Anyone have some suggestions for really lightweight combos suitable for college?