Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Different J Mod Wrinkle

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassclef112, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Hi all,

I've looked through most of the series/parallel posts and haven't come across this - maybe I just missed it, but here it goes.

I am thinking about doing this to my J. I would like to put a stacked Vol/Tone (per '62) (250k/500k) for each pickup, then add a push/pull pot as a Master Volume and series/parallel switch. I'm using a set of Aero's.

What would be the best value for the Master pot? How about caps? Are there any inherent pitfalls in this scheme I should be aware of? I am not very electrical so please bear with me. I can do basic soldering but that's about it. I always preferred V/V vs a blend and would like the best of both worlds - I think this might do it.

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

2. Edgy_Gecko

Edgy_Gecko

Oct 22, 2004
    The stacked pots are not problem to wire they are after all just stacked and there are other diagrams just floating around how to do it. Worse comes to worst integrate a les paul schematic diagram with a jazz bass diagram. Should'nt be too hard.

To let you know as a guitar player as well the way we do it on the 6-string brethren is that the master volume value is dictated by the pick-ups. Usually its 500k for humbuckers and 200k-250k with single coils. Personally I find its better to use 250k for anything for it give you a greater threshold for distortion. Something that is not appreciated by Jazz bassists. Can't tell you about the capacitor, sorry.