Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A different kind of rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been playing my new Avalon U5 DI through my Eden rig, and it sounds excellent. However, I bought it to use as a pre-amp to the PA when I play smaller gigs without a stage amp. So today I hooked up the U5 directly to the input of one of my Mackie SR 1530 powered PA cabs. It's got a double-ported 15-inch driver, a 6-inch mid-range driver, and a 1-inch horn driver, all with built-in tri-amp power. There are two 100-watt amps, one each for the horn and 6-inch, and a 300-watt amp for the 15.

I played both my Lakland 55-94 and Fender Jazz FMT through this rig, and WHOA! I'm thinking I've got a bunch of Eden stuff for sale. What was really amazing was that, as great as most of the EQ presets on the Avalon sounded, the basses sounded fantastic with the U5 EQ bypassed. This is definitely [note correct spelling] the way to hear what your bass really sounds like [excuse hanging preposition]. It was so clean, I didn't know whether to kill myself or go bowling.

Seriously, it'd be a kick to take this stuff to some coffee house gig or jazz thing and just use the U5 and SR 1530 as a rig.

Mighty tastey. And it could be yours for about $1500.

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Bingo!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Munji, I sent you a PM today.

Just wanted to tell you to make sure you saw it.

Peace
    Nick

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Once preaching the gospel of Eden, Munjibunga seems to have found a new religion. That says a lot.

Methinks I will NOT audition one of these U5's, because I do not currently have my wife's permission to spend $1500 on new GAS.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    LMAO!!:)

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Munji

Im interested in hearing how this rig sounds.

You speak so highly of Eden that Im curious to hear just how this compares.

Do you have any samples of your playing online?

Thanks in advance.

Peace
    Nick

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i've recorded with an avalon mic-preamp in the studio fairly often... amazing stuff, and i'd wanted the U5 DI but found it hard to justify $500 for a DI. But shoot, if it's ALL THAT... who knows...

Munji, i'm curious, how does that TONE control work? is that just to select EQ presets?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fuzzbass ~

The $1,500 includes one Mackie SR 1530 tower. Also, don't worry, I won't be getting rid of my Eden gear any time soon. It still rules, but the Avalon/Mackie pseudo-rig sounds SO CLEAN. I'd play a small to medium gig with it any time, if people wouldn't think it looked so weird. I really like the sound, and that'll be my sound every time I go through the PA.

superphat ~

Yes, there are six pre-set EQ shapes. The first four work well with bass, but five and six take off almost all the bottom. The U5 is designed as a DI for all types of instruments, not just bass, so it figures there might be a couple EQ settings that don't really apply. As I stated in my review, it sounds great even with the EQ bypassed. I think the EQ curves are posted on Avalon's site. The most distinctive of them is #2, which has a deep gash in the mid section. It gives that jazzy kind of Nathan East sound. The others all have a good amount of mid in them. Check it out.

Avalon U5

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

i've heard many others guys on this very forum extole the virtues of that exact same setup. i forget who it was, but someone said, they saw another gent live using this exact setup but with a dual powered Mackie speaker set. with a nice onboard 3 band, with midrange selector switch, it must be pretty nice.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    so many pro bassists record with the avalon in the studio... why not live?
    makes perfect sense to me!
    and it wouldn't look weird to the audience, i'll bet.
    only to other bass players~