1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a different PJ bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratiug, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ratiug

ratiug

Sep 14, 2007
    I am a fan of deep sounding bass.
    Tape wound strings, no bridge pickup, no money past the 7th fret, You get the idea.
    Has anyone tried to build or seen a PJ bass or what I would call a JP bass which would be a P bass but the J pup is placed between the P pup and the neck wuth no pup in the bridge position. I think it would be cool.
    Enjoy the day!

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    No i havnt.I cant imagine a deeper tone than a P strung with Flats say .52 - .110 gauge OMG then add some PA support with subs LOL....Deep Thunder

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Here it is: an'it ain't nuthin' new, if you consider early '70s Tele Precision basses with "Wide Range" (essentially Gibson correct) neck humbucker
    untitled.

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    JamWithEggs, Mike_1978, REMBO and 2 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That humbucker doesn't look much like the jazz pickup the OP is talking about.

blindrabbit, Mike_1978 and Owen Bacon like this.
  5. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    I can't see a J pickup doing much for the neck position if you've already got a P pickup in there.

When the guy on stage puts down the J and picks up his P, that's when I start to notice the bass player. It's just a lot more dominant on the neck than a J pickup.

InThePocket123 and lowdownthump like this.
  6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Pretty rare. You will see a couple J-MM models, the one with the J closest to the butt of the neck that I've seen is the Carvin. Rondo makes one, but pretty standard mid and bridge placement. The there was the Fender Urge , a JPJ, but again more mid placed.

carvin.

Mike_1978 likes this.
  7. MasonMinor

MasonMinor

Nov 29, 2014
    Kentucky
    I did it. It sounded alright, not anything you'd think twice about. I put it where the harmonic "24th fret" would be. I always dug it.

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    no, but it is a good recommendation for the OP based on his discription of what he likes in bass sound. The Sheehan is certainly capable of delivering that...................although I personally think he should go the tapewounds/semi-hollow route for that sound

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I have a Carvin BB75 in that PU configuration (w Peizos too)....when the MM is in single coil mode with J, it is almost identical to a Jazz Bass....I think its an illusion because my Carvin (like the one in your pic) has 24 frets and "looks" in the wrong position

while any bass can be muddied-up, I dont think its the best for what the OP is asking........

RED J likes this.
  10. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I know man: I just stuck to the ultra low part

Cheers,
    Wallace

Fat Steve likes this.
  11. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Infact was more of a "provocation" (is this right?) to kinda match OP tone requirements: I own three of'em: they've the loudest, lowest tone I've ever experienced in my goshdarn life!

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. ratiug

ratiug

Sep 14, 2007
    Excellent info people, the sheehan bass is kinda like what I was talking about but due to increased string vibration I dont think a humbucker is required in the neck position. I think a weak single coil would be a better match for the P pup.
    I have a cheap Squier P bass that I will use for experimentation , I just need to figure if the J pup should be placed midway between the P pup and the neck or just slapped against the neck. Enjoy the day!

13. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    If you have a cheap bass you are willing to frankenstein, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if this works or not. You could do a sort of swimming pool rout under the guard, experiment with pickup placement While running without a guard, and then rout the guard as needed.

14. you could put in a humbucker with a coil select switch - front only / back only / both / both out of phase. Look for a bladed guitar humbucker already set up for this, or one that has 4 coil wires.

15. ratiug

ratiug

Sep 14, 2007
    Both great ideas, i was thinking of the swimming pool rout myself

16. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    What's up with the upper frets on the G side of the neck? Are those actually carved out or is it an optical illusion?

17. It's not an optical illusion, they are actually carved. According to Billy himself, it helps with string-bending.

18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    This is called a "scalloped" fretboard....nothing new: Yngwie Malmsteen has guitars like this (full length of neck,too).....it aids fast/shred players where they just apply pressure to make the string contact fret for a distinct note with no resistance from the board underneath to slow them down....supposed to work better for articulation with "shred" style playing

19. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks! I'd heard of scalloped fretboards, but had never actually seen one.

20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Never seen one factory built but this Warmoth sounds like what you are looking for except it has a pair of J pickups.

IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG