1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A distorted question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IsakPetersen, Apr 13, 2006.

1. IsakPetersen

IsakPetersen

Mar 20, 2006
    I have been looking for distortion pedals for a while now, but i can never find one that i realy like.. I want at real metal sound, something like Children of Bodom, Meshuggah (chaosphere) or In Flames.. i realy like In Flames's bass sound but i cant find what pedal he uses, and he plays with fingers
    I play with fingers also so how can i get that sound?
    anyone?

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    There are a bunch of pedals that will get you in the right track... You basically need to look for "overdrive" and / or "distortion" pedals and try them out.

You will need more than a pedal to emulate their stuff however...

I am guessing guy from In Flames has the following:
    Ampeg head SVT-2??? or Mesa 400+ (tube) Tube amps naturally overdrive when cranked.
    He is detuned (or a 5 string bass) so the bass sounds heavy due to this.
    He is playing with a pick and has a bass with active pickups. The pick cuts through nicely with overdriven sounds.
    Using fingers can give you something similar. It will be chunky if you play soft so you need to attack the strings more with your fingers. I would say raise your action a tad and really bite into the strings with your fingers when you have this pedal.

Some Pedals that can help are:
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff
    Boss Overdrive pedal
    Ibanez Phat Hed Distortion/overdrive
    MXR m-80 distortion pedal
    if you have some rackmount gear then get a Sansamp RBI pre-amp and use it for overdrive and warmth.

Also, as a band, In Flames REALLY has all their gear sounding nice! They have taken their stuff as a whole and made it so every instrument can be heard. They aren't stepping on anyones toes as far as fighting for frequencies goes... They hear the whole picture and can make everything stand out to get heavier sounding songs.

A lot of times, especially for bands that are starting off and not signed, guitar players buy a huge half stack and adjust their settings to they sound AWESOME! They go to practice and now with a Drummer and Bassist, things start to sound like crap. Well the guitar player has the most expensive rig so it cant be his problem right? wrong. He may be all lows, flat mids and some highs, well where is the bass supposed to fit in?....

What sounds great by yourself is totally different then when you play with other people. You dig?