a distortion that doesnt sound like boss odb-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SKB, Mar 16, 2002.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

yeah i was just wondering if anyone knows a good distortion that doesnt sound like an odb-3, because i dont wanna use the same distortion sound in every song that i play distortion in.

2. [​IMG]

the Hughes and Kettner tubefactor

best overdrive known to mankind..

has 2 switches...

1) ON/OF

2) factor 1/2

factor 1 = light distortion
    factor 2 = heavy distortion

this thing makes a guitar sound real cool, but the magic it does on a bassguitar is just incredible !
    It has a very unique sound, and the " voicing " knob allows you to go from very full sound to very nasal sound.. real cool.. i've been thinking of getting one myself, but first thing on my wishlist is a new bass :)

the only downside is : it's rather expensive in America.. they cost about $ 200 in Europe.. so they're at least $ 250 in america..
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i've heard nothing but great things on the fulltone bass-driver. but that's just shy of $200.

there're always the proco rat and eh big muff.

[countdown till bigfeet reacts to thread...]
  4. Does that have actual tubes in it?
  5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, it has real tubes! If it weren't so expensive I'd get one.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you can take a look for a used H&K tubeman plus i bought mine for 150$, tube driven, 1 rack space, 3 channel. it's a vital part of my setup.

otherwise they now make the same unit in pedal format but new they are really pricey. a similar unit that is more expensive but really good is the marshall jmp1 preamp which i had and sold to a friend.
    for different sounding distortion in compact pedal look at the electro harmonix Big Muff, the RAT and the Tubescreamer style pedals. among them i higly suggest the visualsound Route66 which is a tubescreamer like overdriver and a compressor. there are a lot of overdrives out there and mostly of them are far superior to the boss ones. don't be fooled by the marketing operation and by whom labels a pedal for guitar or for bass only. there are guitar intended devices that are great for bass.
  7. BF must be sleepin' in this morning, eh? :D Tell us what sort of a tone you are looking for specifically? So many different ways to go on this..fuzz, OD, distortion..?? I use a Prunes +Custard, sometimes my SWR IOD (rack), a Chunk Systems fuzz and am looking for some new flavours myself. I've tried Rats, Bass Grunge's, Big Muff's but not the Fulltone which comes highly recommended (it has a throaty mid thing.) I would try a Frantone Lo-tone or Dredgetone Bass Angler next.
  8. I'm going to be trying out some of the old Marshall pedals.. namely the Drivemaster or the original Guv'nor. I've heard the older Marshall distortion pedals are quite a bit higher in quality than their current stuff. I'd like to be able to get nice gritty sound.

I know Tim C. of Rage Against the Machine uses an old Guv'nor and I really like his sound so it's worth a shot. Of course, he was also running it before a nice Ampeg rig.
  9. SKB

SKB Guest

i think im gonna stay away from any more overdrives because i already use that sound with my odb-3. So im kinda looking for a distortion and maybe a fuzz pedal.
  10. The Boss ODB-3 is NOT OVERDRIVE!!!
  11. It's definitely more towards the distortion side of the spectrum you know...I think you need a proper OD myself. And a fuzz.
  12. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I tried my guitarist's new Big Muff Pi (RU) today. I like the size better than the amer, and it sounds better. Sounds really good, almost fuzz at the right settings. I'll get one later when I decide I want to replace my fuzz I think.
  13. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Ok, I'm gonna have to expose my ignorance here....
    I get fuzz...(I think) all square-wavey kinda thing.
    But what exactly is the difference betwee OD and Distortion? Is it just a question of degrees?
  14. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000

I didn't know H&K made a tubeman plus (1 rack space, 3 channel), do you know if that is a Euro only product, it wasn't on their web site in any language.

15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    it's the old now discontinued vesrion, the tubeman plus:
    go to their sire, then click on manuals and you'll fin the manual and pics of this version.