1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A distraught bassist asking for help (About CIJ Fenders and ordering online)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderStripes, Apr 14, 2006.

1. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_precision-bass/pb62-53.html

There's the link to the bass I want; second one down, in Arctic White.

http://www.guitarjapan.com/ is the main site, of course.

Before I go through with depositing the money in the PayPal account and placing the online order, I'd like to hear some input from anyone who's used this site before. I've heard good things, but my brother says that he has a bad vibe about the site and thinks it seems a little shady. And I trust my brother a lot, so I just want to make sure it's a legit site.

If anyone remembers me, I posted a topic about this a few months back. I've been waiting on this new bass for roughly 2 years now and quite frankly, I think my head will explode if I must wait much longer. I. Want. My. Bass.

Please help.

Much thanks:bassist:

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Fender Japan has a pretty good rep...but wood is wood and if you don't like it when it arrives...Fender Japan's warranty is exclusively domestic...and you're...well sh1t out out of luck. They're basses are gorgeous when brand new, though.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've heard some great things about Guitar Japan, don't think you'll have any concerns. Just if you don't like it, returning it will cost you $120 roughly, so it may not be truly worth it, but I'm sure you could flip it in the states for about what you paid.

4. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    Cost for the actual bass itself is $424...but then there are various shipping fees and taxes that I'd have to pay, so add roughly $120-$150 on top of that...

5. Well, let us know how it goes if you decide to get it.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My advice would be to get the exact model number of the bass you want, and then e-mail Ishibashi Music and get a price quote from them (Ishibashi's prices are better than GuitarJapan, and I can personally vouche for Ishibashi's service and integrity).

I would also recommend getting one of the 'high end' models with an Ash/Alder body and USA pickups, instead of their lower end budget models with Basswood body and Japanese pickups.

As for the the bass in the auction that Arizona Jones linked to....RIPOFF, that's the low end budget model (note the rear view of the tuners, the smaller diameter tuner posts, and the non threaded bridge saddles) which can be ordered new from Ishibashi for <$450 including shipping.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I got my Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Fretless from GuitarJapan.com. A very good experience dealing with them. Answered all my questions fairly quick. They said it would take a week to get to me.....and sure enough 1 week on the money! The bass was packed very well and was setup perfect right out of the box.

8. Well, I wouldn't mind checking some of this stuff out but where do you find the specs?

I mean, how do I figure out the differences between these reissue '57 Precisions other that looking at a few pictures and brief descriptions?

1. FenderĀ® American Vintage 57 Precision Bass

2. PB57-80US

3. PB57-70US

Arizona Jones

9. I have used Ishibashi in the past and have been very satisfied. I have no experience with GuitarJapan, but the fact that the money will be held by PayPal is very reassuring to me. I have used PayPal both as a buyer and seller and I have had to use their warranty. If you make sure you are buying what you want, I think you will be very happy. As zombywoof5050 said, go for the high end stuff. You can get cheap Fender stuff in every pawn shop in the US, but the top of the line CIJ Fenders are better made than the top of the line US Fenders, IMO, and are priced like a Squire.

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    1. The MIA 57RI will have a neck width (at the nut) of 1 3/4", and the CIJ's will be closer to 1 5/8". The MIA 57RI will have the vintage style reverse tuners, and the CIJ models that you listed will have 70's style tuners (without the Fender name on the back). The MIA's neck has a Nitro finish and the body is Poly with Nitro top coats, and the CIJ's finish is all Poly on the neck and body.

I believe the only difference between the PB57-70US and the PB57-80US is that the 70US has a white pickguard, and the 80US has the gold anodized aluminum pickguard. I believe also that the 80US comes with bridge/pickup covers and maybe the 70US doesn't, but I'm not quite sure about that.

At less than half the price, the CIJ is a damn fine bass. Keep in mind though that the CIJ's don't come with a hardshell case, only a cheap gigbag (still well worth the price though IMO).