A dose of real for Fender lovers and haters alike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 30, 2021.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Big Fender argument week, so let's start off the weekend with a doozy! I have perspective on both sides because I started as a Fender lover, became a hater, and ended up becoming a lover over my decades of experience.

BTW, I am using the word Fender to refer to both Fenders and what are commonly known as FSO's (Fender Shaped Objects). Anyway, here is some real for the Fender lovers:

---Yes, there are some producers who prefer the sound of a good vintage sounding Fender to someone else's favorite. Not all do, but some do. The vast majority of us will never even meet said producers, let alone work with them. Why keep bringing up a mostly irrelevant point?

---It is entirely possible to make a decent, and in some cases, lucrative, income from your bass playing without having so much as touched a Fender in your life. Or at least there may be some way to do it in the future if we can get past these superbugs that shut most of us down.

---Not everyone works for hire, and many who do work for people who are perfectly happy with their gear as long as they play the right stuff. But if you do plan on working for hire, I'd at least have a Fender or two tucked away just in case, and be happy that the Alembic Series II never became a required bass for for-hire players :D

---Let's admit it...though ultimately I end up preferring one of my Fenders for everything these days, a lot of non-Fenders do sound awesome in the hands of good players, I have a few my own self, and at the end of the day, it's the player, not the tools.

Now the real for Fender haters:

---The music world isn't under some sort of "MUST....PLAY....FENDER" hypnotic spell, most producers aren't idiots, often they're better musicians than the ones they produce, and most bass players who buy Fenders do so because they like them. There are just many people who prefer the sound of a good Fender to anything. Doesn't make your choices invalid, doesn't mean they won't work with your sound as a personality component of the band, and I don't know why so many people get up in arms about it because most of us will never work with them, but that's how it is.

---To further prove the point, if people were under this alleged mass hypnosis, why is there such a big amount of FSO builders, pickup, and parts makers? It's not because people bought stock Fenders and were happy with them. I'm very particular about pickups and parts, and not everything works for me. A lot of folks are, too.

---I love my other basses, too, and they do get occasional usage, but when I'm in an unfamiliar situation, I don't want to be playing a bass that sounds great on some things and not others. Plus I have no idea if they're going to go right into another song or not, so I need to stick to one bass as much as possible. And all my other basses sound great on some things and not others except my Fenders.

---People who hate Fenders are fond of saying everyone who plays one sounds the same. You mean like Jaco and Larry Graham? Or James Jamerson and Mike Dirnt? Yeah, OK.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. I’m in similar camp I think. Have lots of basses, more Fender basses than others but lots of love for the non-Fenders too.

Attached Files:

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Okay, but don't forget you brought this mess on yourself. :D

4. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Go big or go home.

6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah :laugh:, I enjoy my Fender basses quite a lot but my other basses make me happy as well! For example, my Warmoth Gecko 6 with the active SD split coil pickup (at the mm sweet spot) plays and sounds amaizing.
    IMG_20200609_154800.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Rafar, villegastx, cubanbass and 14 others like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Whoa! Kahler! My recently refinished Guitar Factory 5-string has one:

GF5 FBody.jpg

Doggone hard to operate but once it's set, it's not moving. And I don't change strings on it anymore anyway.

Also have a 4-string with a Kahler whammy bar which is really good, and I often bust it out when I want to sound like I'm playing fretless. And it's the only bridge I ever owned that's more difficult to tweak than the Kahler fixed. But it works great and stays in tune for hours.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Too bad I retired before I got to coerce you into busting out those basses at one of my soundchecks in that area :D

Rip Van Dan and Mastermold like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can't argue with a single point in your post. So no fight from me. :D

10. My FSO.
    Build thread link is below this.
    64AFD868-D11B-4DC8-8F7F-1ADDE0FC9873.jpeg
    The string spacing has been fixed.

11. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    I love my Fenders too but I actually miss my old Yamaha RBX170

beatnut, Dave Neal, TimB1226 and 8 others like this.
  12. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    California
    I love fenders and I love spin off designs like the Caprice. P neck pickup with humbucker in the bridge. Sculpted neck heel. Smaller offset body. Discontinued but made some improvements to the original design of a Jazz bass. E09D154F-F95B-4B08-BF56-5F8BCA85DA05.jpeg

13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Yeah I think I'll stay home on this one.

Enjoy the angst, though!

14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    7ender

JimmyM likes this.
  15. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    The closest to a fender I ever got was on my spector 4 string.

Which is to say, not very close at all.

Come at me, dinosaurs!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, and I just heard that the Flea Jazz with the single MM humbucker gt disco'd, too. Seems like people want Fender to be Fender and MusicMan be MusicMan.

17. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I only have one genuine 7ender bass, and one FSO.

I also have more than a couple with 7ender FSP’s (7ender shaped pickups). They just ain’t FSO’s.

18. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Loved the tone of the Euro 4 LX I had, but it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable to play as my Jazz. Not even close.
    With the added Sadowsky pre, my J is perfect, for me...
    I consider a short upper horn a serious design flaw.

19. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Wisdom! - This is the best line : and be happy that the Alembic Series II never became a required bass for for-hire players :D

20. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

My jazz singer song-writer friend (regular gig )was happy with my FSO fretless sound and the Jazz Bass Special and she said to just stick with those two if I can't bring the upright. I agree. Duo gig.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021