1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Dream Realized (Aria Pro II SB1000 Content with Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    After a quarter century of searching high and low for a glorious Aria Pro II SB1000, and being in a position to actually afford one, the dream is finally realized.

Thanks to capnjim here on TB (a truly great person to do business with, incidentally), I am now the proud owner of a fine specimen of Matsumoku greatness.

And, thanks to my bass techs here in Vancouver (Paul and Fritz), this bass has been given a whole new lease on life!

As proof that this gem actually exists, below are a couple of pics:

Attached Files:

2. thats b-e-a-utiful

3. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
  4. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Thanks again, Jim!!

5. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    It looks great! I'm guessing your techs did some serious detailing because I rarely see an old SB with the bridge in such nice condition. The chrome tuners and brass nut also look brand new!

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Nice!

7. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    very nice!! I really like the old "gotoh" style bridge better than the bridge that they're putting on the SB1000 reissues.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, that's neat!
    What's the control layout?

Does it weigh a ton?

9. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I'm glad you noticed those elements. Yes, they did some mighty fine detailing on those components. I'm quite anal when it comes to shininess. I made a specific request to my tech to do, and I quote, "...an industrial strength shining of the entire bass!" And they really delivered! They also decided to do a fret dress while they were at it. Now, this thing is in great shape!

10. Wow!

One day I have to find me one like that, nice catch m8! Looks like a real beater ready to rock!!

D.Don

11. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I totally agree. When I saw the new bridge that was being used on the new SB reissues, I was very disappointed. In my opinion, the original Aria Pro II "Quick Hook Tailpiece" (as it was called back in the day) was one of the most practical and effective hardware designs in bass guitar history. They were stock on all of the Aria Pro II bass models made during the revered Matsumoku era. Re-stringing is a snap, and the complete range of adjustability is excellent. The mass of those original bridges was great, too.

12. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Sweet bass. I love my Aria (for over 20 years) and know yours will treat you well too. They made those old SB series to last and play nice.

13. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Thanks, Chef.

The controls are as follows:
    Volume
    Tone
    6-way EQ Switch (called "Varitone" back in the day, functions only in active mode)
    Active/Passive Toggle Switch
    L.E.D. (Flashes regardless of active/passive mode to alert the player that their two 9-volt batteries are being sucked dry! Heh heh.)

As far as weight, these basses are considered notoriously heavy. I haven't gigged with it yet, so my true review will have to wait. So far, though, it doesn't seem outrageous.

14. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    That looks like Burnaby! :D

15. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Not far off. It's actually the Mount Pleasant area in Vancouver.

16. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Haha nice... good call on that bass! Love that simple pickup placement. Looks like a real "sweet spot".

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    That is simply stunning. I totally love those old aria's!