1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A drummer you DON’T want to fire...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michedelic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s amazing that so many drummers I run into don’t know about her; granted, she is Royal Academy trained and her main direction is orchestral, but obviously she branches out into all sorts of musical realms. Performing for the better part of 40 years, here’s the astounding thing...she’s deaf. That’s right, suffered degenerative hearing loss as a teen. Hasn’t stopped her, as you will hear her explain how she feels the vibrations around her...

There is so much video material, but if you have the time, this will explain everything about her....

I was conversing with the drummer of a honky tonk band I go to see frequently, and as he also performs in a Gamelan ensemble(how’s that for versatility?)I mentioned her to him, and, once again, he didn’t know. So, after sending him a bunch of clips, I started wondering about this place, as we deal with drummers and vibration as well.

2. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    I must be weird, because I've known about her for a long time. She's awesome! :thumbsup:

3. Michedelic

No, you’re not weird; all musicians should know about substantial and unique players of instruments not their own, there’s always something to be learned. Good thing I didn’t go down the Harry Partch rabbit hole. Once again, I’m surprised how many drummers haven’t even heard of her, they’re usually obsessing over Neil Peart or whoever. I’d rather discuss Buddy Rich or Bernard Purdie myself. I played in a band once where the front person came up with a tune that suggested a “George Of The Jungle” rhythm, so I mentioned Gene Krupa’s iconic work on “Sing, Sing, Sing”, and all I got was a blank stare. Even if you know nothing about big band, you had to have heard that at least once in your life.

4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Well, I may be kinda weird anyway. I was raised on big band & jazz l before I encountered rock in my teens. And since I was a drummer for umpteen-something years before I picked up bass, Krupa, Rich, and Co. were no strangers to our family turntable. Even as a teenager, when the Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey orchestras came to town, I went to those shows. Tex Beneke was still alive and touring with the Dorsey guys at the time. That was a treat. I also got to see Woody Herman play a show shortly before he passed on.

Anyway, good call on Evelyn Glennie, and yes: A broad familiarity with different kinds of material is always a good thing! :thumbsup:

Joebone likes this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    She's a true wonder, and yes, seemingly very much under-rated.
    I know a couple of percussionists who are aware of her, but none of my drumming buddies were.

Her album with Mark Knopfler, 'Altamira', which this thread has thankfully inspired me to listen to again, is simply a thing of beauty.

Winslow likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I didn't want to fire the last drummer I worked with. Really. Rather decent drummer, not flashy, but great beats, innovative. And a complete musician too, can sing excellent harmonies.

Nope. Didn't want to fire him. So he fired me. :(

7. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Dame Evelyn Glennie has been the most well known percussionist in the orchestral musical sphere for decades.

HolmeBass and Winslow like this.
  8. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Three-point plan to get re-hired:

1. Call him back.
    2. Tell him you got a Chapman Stick.
    3. Promise never to bring the bagpipes to practice again.

:D

kobass, Joebone, pellomoco14 and 3 others like this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm beside myself with the waiting, actually (pipes should be here any day now...)

Winslow likes this.
  10. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Well in that case, promise never to bring cookies with raisins in them to practice again! :D

TakeABreak and bholder like this.
  11. Michedelic

Well, yes, of course, but that’s the sad part. Considering the insular classical world, very few personalities in that field are known to the general public, let alone musicians in the pop, rock, jazz, and even experimental areas. Maybe there’s a little more recognition and crossover between jazz and classical, but the thing about her is the exploration she does outside the strict orchestral realm. I wouldn’t think the average symphonic percussionist would possess the massive and varied amount of noise toys seen in the videos where she’s showing that stuff off(and explaining their significance).

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    My old DB teacher had a cello student who was deaf. She played in tune by feeling the notes through her fingertips.

13. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    She's better with that pan than most drummers I know are with their whole kit.

kobass likes this.
  14. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I love her level of passion and attention to her craft. Very attractive to boot!

kobass likes this.
  15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Been a fan for years. Solo snare drum at Grand Central Station in NYC!

Oddly likes this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes, Evelyn Glennie;
    Very good.
    Very...VERY famous.
    Really quite scottish
    A bit deaf, she is too and not so.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:25 AM
  17. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    I've had the DVD "Touch the Sound" by her for years. Always a great watch. In fact I think I'll go and ………..

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Oh please do! I’m a major Harry Partch admirer. Got all his works on vinyl. His book Genesis of a Music is still one of my all time favorite music treatises.

EE104AE7-D7DD-4477-9AA9-87982D0FBB20.

“Once upon a time there was a little boy. And he went outside.”

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve got her DVD.

Brilliant percussionist!