1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A/E bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crabtowndave, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Crabtowndave

Crabtowndave

Aug 9, 2013
    Just bought an old MIK Samick HFB 590. My first A/E. Need some info on best strings. Solid top F-holes, Piezo P/U. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There are no best strings. Any more than there is a best bass, or a best car or a best sandwich.

Depends entirely on what you want to sound like.

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    If you want the loudest strings for an AEB, phosphor bronze strings will give you that. However, many AEB players (myself included) do not care for their shrill tonality.

Because you are going to have to play the AEB plugged into an amp, volume really becomes a moot point at which time you can put whatever strings you want on it. Many enjoy tapewounds or flats to give them a more woody thump sound; I have pressurewounds on mine because I like the bite and nuance that rounds pull from the instrument, without going the full roundwound route.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Labella Nylon Flatwounds should help bring out the acoustic properties of the bass without much fret noise.