1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A eugoogly...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jughead6, May 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This is kind of a eugoogly.

I have decided to retire my Traynor YBA200.

She still sounds wonderful, but I know that the power tubes are on their last legs and it seems like an expensive cr@pshoot to try to find good quality matched sets of tubes these days. So, after many thousands of hours of enjoyment, my YBA200 is being retired.

A couple of years ago, I would have spent money on her. But not now.

She is still mostly standard configuration: 12AX7's in the pre-amp and 6550's in the power section. I always liked the tone, so I was never interested in trying different pre-amp tubes. The only thing non-standard is a slight mod to the notorious autobias system.

I play in different bands that play different styles of music in different venues, so I am generally happy using a decent solid state amp and the PA. In that respect, I don't have a signature tone.

Playing at home for my own enjoyment... well, that's a very different story. You really can't beat the glorious warmth of an all-tube amp. No pedal can match that sound.

But I can no longer justify the time and expense of maintaining an all-tube head. Not when there are so many high quality, low price solid state options available.

So, she's being retired.

I will miss her.

dbase and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I wish you lived near me. I would trade you a killer solid state head for it. I vote for a re-tube and another many years of enjoyment.

If we were talking about my YBA-300, I would gladly spend 100's to keep it functioning.

Jughead6 likes this.
  3. Plenty of good 6L6GC out there.

4. Not an expert, but wouldn't the 6L6's give me less power and different tone?

Irrespective of tube type (6L6, 6550, KT88 etc) it's still a costly PITA.

I'm retiring the old girl, not selling her. One day when I have more time to mess around, I'll probably retube her. But for the moment it seems to make more practical and financial sense to go SS.

5. My mistake, I thought it was 6L6gc stock standard.

Jughead6 likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There are guidelines in the TB Portaflex Wiki for what to listen for as tubes wear down: Tubes | TalkBass.com.

If you suspect that the tubes are in need of replacement, consider just replacing the small tubes first. They are relatively less expensive and changing them can make a big difference sonically. 6550's can last and last in some amps, sometimes a rebias can help if you want optimal performance out of the amp.

A comment on retiring any amp. Amps have electrolytic capacitors in them that degrade when they are not being used. If this goes too far the caps need to be replaced. These capacitors are wet inside and a chemical reaction occurs that breaks down a protective insulating layer. Powering up the amp in playing mode, standby off, every six months or so for around half an hour will reverse the chemical reaction. They call this reforming the capacitors. Taking care of the amp in retirement will help maintain it in usable condition.

BassmanPaul and Jughead6 like this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Make sure you block the cab up so as to not let the tires go flat ;)

Jughead6 likes this.
  8. Thanks for the advice. I will certainly follow the tips to keep the caps usable while in retirement.

As for the tubes, I can definitely hear that they're not right and my amp tech has said that they're on the final straight.

beans-on-toast likes this.