Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by in repair16, Apr 26, 2003.

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 12:28 AM.
  1. A.F.I? Way Awesome!

24 vote(s)
  2. A.F.I? I'd rather not.............

1 vote(s)
  3. Don't care for them

9 vote(s)
  4. Who?

7 vote(s)
  1. in repair16

in repair16 Guest

Apr 24, 2003
    Whiting, Indiana
    Hey everyone. Simple Question. Your thoughts on the East Bay band, A.F.I. Thanks.:bassist:
  2. Hmmm...they are average I'd say, heard some stuff by them, got a copy of the "Shut your mouth and open your eyes" CD.
  3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've only heard the new disc "Songs of sorrow" I like it a lot. I have heard a few older songs. They sure have changed a lot.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Duno alot of people are gonna say they sold out on their new cd. I dont think this is the case at all. Ive listened to AFI for a long time and theyre sound has just evolved alot. IF you listened to answer that and stay fashionable compared to the art of drowning its a much more refined sound. Sing the sorrow isnt my fav cd but its not bad at all. Im tired of everytime a good band gets a little publicity people are all over them "selling out". AFI did not sell out. They didnt change their sound drastically to sell albums. They arent gonna have 13 year old screaming girl fans. An afi show is a great place, but not for 13 year old girls. Point is AFI kicks alot of behind and your a fool if you wont give them a chance cuz they released an album under a major label.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I like their songs for sorrow album a lot. I've never really listened to their older stuff so I can't compare.
  6. They're new stuff aint bad, but compared to their older stuff, I can't say they've gotten better....just progressed into an entirely new sound.

Answer That and Stay Fashionable is a great cd...and is the exact opposite of art of drowning and sing the sorrow.
  7. not really my type of music. From what I heard there alright, but I dont think I could get into them.
  8. i used to play the same clubs with them long ago. whether they sold out or not, the new album is terrible. i liked them when they were a semi-decent punk band. now that they're a bad goth band i can't stand it.
  9. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I voted the top option. the only cd of theirs that I have is sing the sorrow and I maintain that their new stuff is fair. I downloaded a lot of their old work on kazaa and it was so much better than the new stuff. Sing the sorrow seems repetitive and somewhat uninspired to me.
  10. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Incredible band. I saw them wednesday night in san diego and friday night in hollywood and they tore the roof off the sucker both times!

'Sing the Sorrow' is a very mature record... with strings, piano, electronica parts, and lots of production... to be honest it wasn't the album i was hoping for them to make... i was hoping for more 'Shut Your Mouth' or 'Black Sails' stuff but i knew they wouldn't.

'Sing the Sorrow' is still a great record in its own way, but it takes some getting used to, especially for long time fans... i think what AFI fans have to accept at this point is that this is no longer the same band that released 'Answer That' and 'Very Proud of Ya'... they don't even play much 'Shut your Mouth' stuff anymore either, since Jade has only been their guitarist from Black Sails on
  11. actually...they are good to a certain extent if you will......some of their songs are really cathy..........SOME of their songs...if you got their new CD..its err....kinda disappointing....to me at least......only like 4 songs i like........so yeah tehy are ok...i wouldn't mind listening to them..... they're good enough to d/l over the net...but...buying the Cd is er....yeah.......don't waste your time, just d/l their good songs
  12. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    first off, the new cd is only about $6 at most stores, so its hardly a large chunk of cash you'd be spending... besides, i think the new album really needs to be listened to all the way through as a whole. It isn't a "concept" album per se, but it flows in such a way that you'd be losing a lot of the experience by just downloading mp3s of the "good" songs (i think they're all good personally)
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I haven't heard a lot from them, but I do like what I have heard. They kind of remind me of a punkyier (is that a word?) version of The Cult.