Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A fair price for a marshall VBA400 and matching 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ted13, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Hey guys,
    a friend of mine just lent me his vba stack to try out and possible buy. i am wondering what you guys might think a fair price to offer him is.

1- the cab has a broken wheel and is in a road rashed state but sounds fine. .
    2- head in in very good shape and has new tubes and was serviced by a very reputable amp tech that i know.

thanks alot Ted

2. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Anybody? please help..

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    When I was looking for the head, I noticed they went for ~$1300 new, so I would say tell him $900, at the minimum. Since it has new tubes, maybe more.
    I don't know how much the 810 goes for, so I can't really help ya there.

-Ray

4. I don't know about the price, but how does it sound man?

5. I saw the cab go over here for about £400 - £500, so that'd probably be $400 - $500 US (just by the way things work out)

6. I thought that'd be more around 700-800 USD but I'm not sure.

7. when you do an exact change with the exchange rate, then closer to that, yes, but things dont work like that, if you compare the prices of things over in the US to that off things in the UK, its usually a 1:1 ratio, so essentially (especially with musical equipment) its usually £=$

8. Oh I gotcha.

9. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    well, the head seems good it's super fat and is crazy punchy, but the cab seems to be underpowered at 640w rms, when paired with 400 watts from 6550's. the cab can't handle all the power the head offers it does fine at reasonable volumes but there is no option to drive the power tubes hard, the speakers just start crapping out. my old rig was a demeter pre going to a qsc model 1400 into a eden 410xlt. this rig sounded great and you could hear every nuance in your playing, drive pedals etc. the vba400 and 810 cab together seem to just be way less responsive to mids and highs, but offers endless punchy low end thats for sure.

10. 400 watt from 6550's? 8x6550's? nice