Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A fair price for Alembic Rogue5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I am curious, what would be a fair price for an Alembic Rogue-5??? Thanks much TBERS, and yes, the bass belongs to me :cool:
    here is the description....
    1998 long scale 5 string Rogue bass
    Bocate top
    mahogany body
    maple neck with walnut pinstripes
    maple accent laminate
    ebony fretboard
    Alembic gold tuners
    Europa electronics

The bass is in Great condition, NOT MINT.

here is the link to the actual link...............
    http://www.talkbass.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=727&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

2. On the American secondhand market I guess a fair price for a 'standard' Rogue 5 with optional Europa electronics would be around $1750, maybe up to $2000 on a good day...

3. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    First, Europa electronics ARE Rogue electronics. There's no upgrade involved there.

That's pretty much a stock Rogue. List price is about $5500 for that bass new, Bocate isn't an upgrade, and monthly specials would drop it a little from that. Typical new price would be in the $4K vicinity. There have been two significant price increases since that bass was built as well, so it could have gone for less in its day. Unfortunately, most Alembics take a big price hit when they first sell on the used market. After that, they hold their value pretty well.

Those can go as low as maybe $1600 in mediocre condition up to around $2K. They tend to be market dependent, though. I have seen these priced reasonably and still not sell, and occasionally push a couple hundred higher. These are so often made with various options that it is a challenge to name a standard price. Purpleheart in the neck is an example of an option that improves desirability on the used market.

Many Rogue 5s are made as 35" scale, that would be an important thing to confirm and specify when you sell.

4. Oooops, you're right, my mistake...

5. michaeldl

michaeldl

Jan 2, 2005
    I was recently in the market for one (ended up going new), but watched a couple of 'em go this year for ~$2800 (although one had upgraded "anniversary" electronics, whatever that was.)

Agree on the cost to drive a new one off the lot... retrofitting these things is mucho $ (e.g. priced swapping the plastic back plates with brass- ouch) Worth getting what you want up front or pay a whole lot more later.

Incredibly playable/responsive bass... curious why you're getting rid of it?