Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Farewell to Kings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 74rickbass, May 27, 2005.

1. I bought This album, Moving pictures, 2112 and RUSH a couple weeks ago. As good as Moving Pictures is, I like this one more and I think Geddy's tone is better on this album more-so than Moving Pictures too. (I find the high-end too harsh)

I love all the songs on the album, I searched th forum and some people thought "Cinderella man" was a weak song, but I really dont think so.

My Favorite song is "Xanadu" and I love playiong along with it. Using the Rickenbacker and a touch of distortion doesnt hurt either! ;)

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That's the album that did it for me. Imagine you are thirteen, new to the ways of herb, in the wilderness, at night, and listening to "Cygnus X-1." :eek: I always seem to gravitate toward Premanent Waves and Hemispheres when I contemplate a favorite.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That's the album that ended it for me - actually the one after it. That's the last Rush album I enjoyed - I think they lost their minds after that. :) Got way too technical, seemed to lose all their feel (for me). I was a HUGE rush fan right up until then.

I love Cinderella Man. What bass player in his right mind would say that was week with that funky stuff goin on in the solo?

4. Rush is good.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Taco Bell good too.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres go hand in hand and make for a nice back to back listen.

Hemispheres is one of my favorite albums, and A Farewell to Kings is pretty near the top too.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Whoever said Cinderella Man was weak, was definitely not a bassist.

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah, those 2 were the swan song for the 70's prog-rock-albums-with-3-songs-about-science-and-stuff Rush. The later stuff was great too, but this was an end of an era for them, IMO. I always thought that A Farewell to Kings was an underrated Rush masterpiece that doesn't get the respect it deserves.

9. Here's the quote I was talking about by a member named "babecker"...

"Here's the thing with Rush: Every album is solid and will have a bunch of tunes that blow you away.

But at the same time it seems every album has at least one song that just plain sucks and gets skipped whenever you listen to it.

i.e.

Caress of Steel: "I Think I'm Going Bald" (damn, that song is terrible)

Farewell to Kings: "Cinderella Man" (such a dismal song on what is otherwise an incredible album)"

There ya go... thats where I read it.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It's a good album, but I don't like Cinderella Man either :bag: or Madrigal for that matter.

And also CTTH and Xanadu are MUCH better on Exit... Stage Left than on AFTK.

And Cygnus X-1 has the highest pitched vocals ever recorded :D

So basically the only song I regularly listen to on this album is the title track.

:bag:

11. Geddy is on record in an interview saying when he listens to the Rush catalog (and he stresses that this isn't a frequent occurence), he is surprised that how, over time, only one album stood the test of time sonically. He is amazed by how Hemispheres still to this day is modern and the album really sticks out to him.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Interesting. I've always held Power Windows and Counterparts up as the hallmark of great recording. So spacious, heavy when it needs to be, everything in one package.

As for Rush albums, AFTK is definitely great, and totally underrated. However, I am and always will be an 80's geek (even though I'm only 18). My real love for Rush starts with Signals and continues straight through to now.

13. The tone Ged gets out of his Wal on Power windows is incredible. Its nice to see more younger people giving props to the '82-92 Rush years. There are some serious statements being made on those albums. Some of Alex's tastiest playing is extremely evident coupled with a dynamic rhythm section that peaked together around this time frame.

Also, Hold Your Fire showcases some of Geddy's greatest work.

14. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    "A Farewell To Kings" has my favorite bass sound out of all the Rush records: sort of a "clanky" sound.

Song wise, "Xanadu" is their masterpiece in my opinion.