1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A father's letter to Victoria's Secret regarding their new line

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Mar 26, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I friend of mine linked this article/letter on Facebook and I thought it was a fairly interesting read that brings up a number of good points. I'm curious to hear some other peoples' thoughts on it:

http://evandolive.com/2013/03/22/a-letter-to-victorias-secret-from-a-father/

*edit* A Mr. John Turner has informed us that this story was just a rumor spreading about (thank goodness!).

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Can someone post a transcript?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    You're welcome.

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    I'm so glad I don't have kids. Our culture is sick beyond all belief.

5. Simple solution: Don't buy them for your daughter when she comes of age/teach her some self respect so she'll make the right decisions when the time comes.

You know, parenting.

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    But parenting is hard! :p

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Sure, we can all do our part when it comes to our own children.
    Sadly, though, there are plenty of parents brought up within this culture who wouldnt see anything wrong with such a product line being marketed towards preteen girls.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Then what happens when the kid sees the advertisements in magazines, on TV, her friends showing off their clothes, etc etc. The culture is manipulated so that the parent simply cannot fully shield their children. This has been getting worse and worse since the 1920's.

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I wish it were that simple.

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Sounds like a great opportunity to teach your children about the truths of marketing, stupid fashion trends, peer pressure and how the better individuals within a society are able to rise above such base notions and be well rounded people.

12. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    In the board room:

"Hey, guys, we've got a letter!"
    *ahem* "yada yada yada,"
    "By doing so you will put young girl’s self-esteem, self-worth and pride above profits."

*Hysterical laughter breaks out*

"ahah, hah, ha. Oh, ahaha"

*More hysterical laughter*

You don't have to shield your children, infact I believe it is the worst possible thing that you CAN do. But rather, teach them to make the right decisions and take responsibility for their actions from a young age, and teach them to be confident and secure in themselves and their own abilities.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    reminds me of the little girl panties from A&F a few years back!:( anyone recall the outrage?:eek:

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Reading the OP, I was reminded of the same story you mentioned.
    I think there may have been a TBOT thread about it.

15. Yeah, parenting. Wait until you have a teenage daughter. It's not easy. My daughter buys most of her own clothes these days. I've made her take back a few things but I don't make her show me her underwear. Somehow, that seems creepy.

16. Yet somehow self respecting woman came from each decade since.

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    damn,... i think i missed that thread. did those lil' hooker garments ever make it to market?

18. slobake

slobake resident ... something

As has been said raising children is not easy, in fact it is the most challenging thing I have done. You can teach your children and be a good example but you can't be with them every moment of the day, you can't check every single thing that they do. I pretty much ignored all of my parent's advise and did what I wanted to. Some kids respect their parents some don't. You can have two kids in the same family with completely different attitudes. Can you trust us old farts with experience on this? I was young once too and I had all the answers, being a parent helped me realize I didn't. I know many of you mean well and your advice is sound we should be good parents and guide our children. A lot of kids listen more to their friends than they do thier parents, maybe you were young and rebellious.
    This kind of thing doesn't help. Yeah the board may laugh and snicker at one letter but if a large boycott happens they won't be laughing.
    So, be gentle with us old guys who have been through the mill with our children. :p In case you were wondering my son is 40 now and we have a great relationship, like a lot of kids he had to go through his rebellious stage.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This. You can start them at any age, showing them things like health claims on food packaging, the inherent peer pressure in advertising directed at kids, stuff advertised in junk mail, and even political messages.

20. Unless their friends deem whatever you're trying to thwart "cool" - at which point there's not much you can say that will get through to them. You can teach them all you want when they're "kids" but as soon as they hit Jr High... Things change. I'm about the last person my kids want to talk to about trends.