1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A fEARful choice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickrs540, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I have finally seen the beautiful "bassy" light that is fEARful cabs and now I will undertake the building of 1 or 2 of these amazing cabs. :D

I can't wait to start the building process this weekend. The only problem though is that I don't know which model cabs I should make. Originally I was thinking a 15/6 and 15 sub combo, so I can use one for smaller gigs and both for big ones. I did some research and together it seems like both cabs would only be around 4'7(or something around that) which really wouldn't work too well for me.

I'm looking for my ideal large rig to be super tall. I would think about 6' or closer would work perfect for me. I know you're all probably thinking thats overkill, but I like the speakers to be around my head level (im 6'5), so I think 6' would be good enough with out over doing it. Of course I would be fine with taller if it works out that way as well.

While trying to figure out which cab to make with height in mind, I started thinking about a 1515/66 on top of a 15 sub. Would this combo be worth the effort of making the sub? or would another cab work better in its place?

Hopefully you guys can help me choose a good cab. I'm going to start the build this weekend. :D :D :D :D :D

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Frankly the height thing doesn't need to be pursued as a necessity even if one's other career is being a pro basketball player. Either a 15/6 on 15sub rig or mirror-stacked dual 15/6 rig will be taller than say an 810 cab which is about what a 1515/66 is (other than the 1515/66 can go a lot louder and weighs a lot less), and these all have great vertical dispersion. You can also put stacks on top of a riser stand if that's really a sticking point though.

That said,

6162473405_cae45656b3_b.

3. You can hunt animals for sport with a rig like this... :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

4. Thanks greenboy for the quick response. That makes alot of sense, but now seeing the picture of that stack. I believe my mind is made up. That thing is a beast in every sense of the word and I definately want one haha. I think I might make a 12/6 just to have for smaller gigs aswell as the monster rig.:bassist:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I personally wouldn't want that HF waveguide or two 6"s in my ear, especially at screamin' volume. In fact, with my 15sub/15/6 rig, I turn the 15/6 upside down so it's not as close to my ear.

I'm 6'1" or so, and find the sub/15/6 rig to be plenty close to my ears, especially given the wider dispersion of that mid driver. I would say that if you really wanted the extra inches, a double 15/6 rig would work out just fine.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That $#!? is LOUD, yo. People who haven't experienced these cabs with the amount of mid-range sound at volume may not realize how painful or harmful it could be if they're not careful.

8. Hmmm, That does make quite a bit of sense.......

I hate when logic goes against my want of a rediculously giant rig I don't really need haha.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I can’t see ever needing a sub with that top cab!!

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What you don't realize is how ridiculous just TWO woofer fEARfuls are. ;) When I built my first, everyone thought I was nuts to need or want a sub to go with it.

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well As some one owns a 1515/66/1 and a 15/6/1....I really dont ever see the need of staking them unless i am playing an out door event with out p.a. backup. That 1515/66/1 is one hell of a loud cab. I am running 1300 watts into it and man it is scary. My SWR Megoliath 810 could not even touch thing cab...and that 810 was no slouch. The thought of running both them cabs together fills me with fEAr In a Good fEARful way. Trust me if you want to go that route get the 1515/66/1 first and if you think you need more (which i doubt) Then you can add the sub! I my self got the 15/6/1 for when i dont need to kill anyone and am doing something smaller.... The added 6" mid is nice and i would miss it if it was just a sub. And as for a HF horn you really dont need it i have it and i use it a lil just for a bit of sizzle on the top but i really dont miss it when i have it turned off Them 6" mids and scary Clean and bright!! In fact That 15/6/1 is alot of cab all by its self I wish more people could hear these cabs it would shut the doubters up!!!Best of Luck Mate And welcome to the club.... Once you Get a fEARful fEVEr there is no cure.....it is just Tums to Commercial Cab GAS!!:D

12. Thanks buddy!

I think Thats just what I might do. I will start with the 1515/66/1 and go from there. I think having a 15/6 as well for smaller gigs would be a good idea. I do alot of small classic rock and jazz gigs where a cab as big as a 1515/66/1 would make the walls crash down. :bassist:

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Best Of luck mate!! The 1515/66/1 Is amazing!! I dd a lil demo For my band Mates By Drop tuning my bass down to a low f#.... WOW It was awesome....it rattled the whole place and still did not fart out!!! Hearing is Believing!! You really will never regret going The way of the fEARful!! Looking forward to when you finely get it and what you will be saying after playing through it...i am pretty Sure it will leave you speechless...the once you recover we wont get you to shut up :p...Thats what happened to me....now i cant stop sharing the fEARful fEVEr with everyone i meet!! I would strongly Suggest Checking out the fEARful Forum http://greenboy.us/forum/index.p...am become a member it is a great place to help you and give you all the info you need!! All The best!! Cheers mate!!~Elliot

14. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    I think that is a better option. Unless you are a dub/reggae player like BurningSkies I feel the better choice is doing another 15/6 over a 15 sub. That lets you be able to leave the 15/6 at a practice space and still have all the midrange goodness.