1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Fender P-Bass in the hands of one of the most unlikely - but it seems to work

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. A foursome of unequaled stature. I rather like the P-Bass in this one. :bassist:

The absence of the Strat also helps. That's just my humble opinion. Some artists don't know when they had it so good. :p

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Didn't Keith Richards play bass on a lot of the RS tracks? You can kinda tell whose playing because Bill Wyman follows the drums, not the other way around.

Cool supergroup, John Lennon went by Winston Legthigh or something similar to avoid contractual issues.

3. I believe Keith played bass on "Shine a Light" off Exile on Main St.....excellent bass playing on that one.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    very cool video...too bad hes using a pick :bag:

seriously though, that was pretty tasty playing

5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    You think that's tasty?

I think anyone in the mediocre bassists club can match that.

6. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya man, hes a gui**** just jammin along with other greats of his time. Pretty cool. Maybe our definitions of tasty differ quite a bit?

theres nothing crazy going on at all, just some down right rockin. Thats tasty IMO

7. I love the mediocre bassists club!:bassist:

Nice song

8. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    i'm covering it with my band. i don't like the stones, but i'll admit keith sounds amazing in this song. Great cover. Clapton is god.

9. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    No. :spit: :bag:

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Glad he uses a pick its the right way to play:)

11. Great vid but not a patch on the sledgehammer original!:bassist:

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I dig it! :)

KR: Hey, John. I heard you're starting another band. Can I be in it?
    JL: Ummm...I guess so.
    KR: Great! I'll go get me Tele.
    MM: John, I just heard from Clapton. He's in.
    JL: Uhh...ummm...Keith, I'm sorry man, but Eric is really good.
    KR: You got Clapton? Bloddy hell! Would you let me play bass?
    MM: Can you play bass?
    KR: Of course. I'm a guitar player.
    JL: We'll give it a try, but if you **** it up, you're out.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yeah, I'm sure anyone in that "mdiocre bassist club" could get asked to play in a band with Lennon and Clapton too right? ;)

Sometimes not being a "wank machine" is what's appropriate for the song.

Great video!

14. There's another individual on stage that should be included in the aforementioned dialog. ;)

Anyone care to venture into this....

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Wonder why they didn't get a real bass player?

16. MutronIII

MutronIII

Mar 13, 2002
    Bill Wyman... not even the best bassist in the Rolling Stones.

Keith played bass on Sympathy, a whole bunch of other tracks. And Mick Taylor played on Tumblin Dice.

17. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Damn that sounds great!

18. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Ronnie Wood hs played as much, if not more bass for the Stones than Wyman ever did, even as early as 1973. Remember.for many years, Bill wouldn't leave France for fear of being nailed by the English taxman. Ronnie was and still is a great bassist- check out his work with Jeff Beck and the Faces...I heard a track from 1964 on Steve Van Zandt's radio show with Ronnie playing a Danelectro- he sounded like Entwhistle, unbelievably good tone for the year and recording methods.

19. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Funny you mention Ronnie - I just picked up his book at B&N yesterday. Sale for $5.98 hardback. I heard some of the anecdotes when he was a guest on Top Gear. Funny stuff.

20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Keith is a brilliant bass player IMO. love it. Sympathy, Jumpin Jack Flash, lots of others...

i don't get how some bassists get precious about his playing. face it, he's a well rounded musician.

you don't hear the same bitching about that other guitarist who filled in for a missing bassist...what's his name? Paul McSomething.