A Fender Stu Hamm Urge 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Apr 9, 2004.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I was watching my Joe Satriani Live in San Francisco DVD tonight. During the song Flying in a Blue Dream I had to hit pause and count the tuners because sneaky Stu was playing a 5 string Urge (Urge II design).

Anybody else notice this?

Any ideas whether Fender is considering producing this instrument?

I have an Urge I and a 5 string version would be interesting...but I'm not sure how a 32 in. B string would be.
  2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i thought the urge 2 was a 34" scale... i could be wrong though...
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You are correct...the Urge II is a 34 in. scale...and I'm assuming that Stu's U-II5 would be too...

Rereading my original post, I see the subject shift...and realize that I need to get some sleep...
  4. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    it looked more like a fender jazz deluxe 5 to me.

but then again i may be wrong. the lighting was rather dim.

what do u guys think?
  5. after downloading an interview with stu he does have a 5 string urge and urge 2 but fender is only providing them to stu, only the 4 strings are availiable to the public, the urge 1 (which i wanna get eventually) was 32" and has the kubicki preamp, btw does the urge 1 have a 4way switch or a 6way?, and the urge 2 wasupgraded to a 34" with the deluxe active jazz preamp (as far as i know).....

but if you've seen the G3 dvd satch, vai, johnson he uses a 5 string fender jazz custom shop by phillip kubicki, which had me confused when i first saw it

but stu's was black and had two single coils instead of the humbuckers
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To my eyes, Stu's five on that video looks like a early-90's Fender Jazz Plus V with a pickguard to make it look a bit more like a traditional Jazz bass. It's got the 3-in-line control knob setup, and the finish even looks like the "Blue Pearl Burst" that was fairly common on the Plus series.

I think the confusion about the Kubicki is that the Plus series' preamp was Kubicki-designed, and very well could have been the starting-off point for the original Urge's electronics. This similarity may have been why Stu chose a Plus V for his five-string. Aah, circular logic. ;)

Edit - I believe I'm right about the G3 DVD (which was shot in 1996), but this photo clearly shows a more "Urge" five-string.
  7. Billy;
    Stu, during an interview i read, mentioned that Fender made him a 5 string version of his Urge II. As you mentioned, in the live in DVD video you can see him playing it, to me it has the UrgeII pickguard and knob arrangement- so it looks like an UrgeII. However, if you look at that attached picture from above the pickups are not typical J-P-J arrangement. I have never seen this bass available to the public, but did see him play it, during a Satriani concert. The urge II is a 34" scale, so the B has the potential to be decent.

The UrgeI has a 4 way rotary: bottom-passive, 1 click up- active-mid boost on, 2 clicks up- active, top- standby (-off). The preamp is Kubicki inspired, but didn't sound like a recent kubicki X factor pre that I played. Also there is a internal trim pot which allows you to boost your mids to a user defined level. My UrgeI came w/ the trim pot in the mid position. I find the P pickup benefits the most from the mid boost, and the overall volume raises substantially when you active the mid boost
  8. the pre fender and early fender kubickis had the 6way switch (off, 2 active and 3 passive) im lucky that i got a very early fender cos it had the origional kubicki preamp, but fender decided to skimp down to the 4way switch and modify the preamp to their own design, and phillip kubicki now offers a preamp upgrade to the origional preamp from the fender, but i havent seen or heard about the internal trim pot, there isnt on my kubicki, but i didn't know about the plus series fenders, but it did look like a kubicki jazz ive seen before...oh well
  9. Heath- may i ask what the 2 active and 3 passive setting are?
    are they active and mid boost, and passive w/ different built in EQs?
    On the UrgeI bass the passive setting is a "fail-safe" setting only, if the battery fails you can still use the bass

10. yes i saw that interview too, at www.guitar.com
  11. in first pos you have off
    2nd: basic active sound, really bright
    3rd: same as above but with low end boost
    4rth: quite a bright passive sound
    5th: midddy (if that makes any sense) jazz bass sorta sound
    6th: deep p-bass sorta sound

thats just what it comes to me, theres probably a better way to desscribe it...plus you can use the eq in passive mode, but you can still pan the pups
  12. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Yeah, it's definitely a 5 string Urge and not a deluxe, on the liner notes of his "Outbound" album ( which in my opinion is one of the best bass solo CDs EVER) he has a pic with all his Fender basses and there is I think 2 fivers ( I think one is his piccolo )
  13. The Urge 5 was a custom. Zombie thread. Brains.