Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A fender that isnt very fenderish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Mar 24, 2002.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Wow......that is a nice Fender. And right now, only a buck!

2. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Ya I've never heard of them...

3. Hmm. I don't know if it's real or not. Someone will though.

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I think it is, noone has heard of them though. I looked around and couldn't find any pictures but it seems fender did make a bass called the prophecy.

5. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    And from the descriptions of them they didn't look like fenders at all so, ya It's probably real.

6. Fender made the DR Heartfield line in Japan in the early '90s to compete with the Tobias/Smith/Alembic class of basses. Needless to say, they weren't successful, which is a shame because the people who own them seem to love them.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Why didn't he list the serial number?

9. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Most ppl dont.

10. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
  11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Watch out, Radioactive Man!

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Here's a crumby picture of my Heartfield DR5
    [​IMG]
    The Heartfield DR's were introduced in 1989 and disontinued in 1993. I assume the same to be true for the Prophecy. Fender made a Prophecy I, II and III.

Here's an excerpt from a 1989 FMIC publication:
    "The same philosophy which characterizes Heartfield guitars also guided the creation of our DR line of high tech bass instruments.
    Technological leadership combined with old world craftmanship. Here the craftman's skill gracefully marries exotic woods with sophisticated electronic circuitry."

13. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    I played a prophecy a few time in the local pawn shop, it was the only fender i've ENJOYED playing, and i've played lots. It was going for $400 and the g-string saddle was flat against the bridge, so i couldnt even play that string, but the neck was one of the most comfortable i've ever play. reminded me of a soundgear, only better. i wish i had got it, all it needed was a setup.