1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few bass assembly questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MaskedJackal, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 1) What type of wood glue would I use to glue the wings to the neck? I'm building a neckthrough.

2) What grade sandpaper would I use to sand down a body? The wings I'm using are alder.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    glue - I use Titebond, but several others have had great success with other brands

sandpaper - I sand bodies down to 200 grit. the guy who applies finishes for me prefers a little 'grab' to the surface, and requests that I don't go any finer. Mind you the bodies are finished in either lacquer or poly and not oil. For an oil finish you'll go all the way through a fine grade of steel wool

I also make sure to sand the glue joints with 200 grit so that there is a little roughness for the glue to adhere with. you'll also find that this makes for a significantly less visable joint vs gluing a surface right from the planer

all the best,

R

3. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    man thats intense, at the shop where i work (birdsong guitars) we take ours down to 400.