A few concerns about a switch in amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StickNaving, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I've been trying to get an amp lately, and since the entire internet has it backordered and I cant afford to wait a long time, I've begun to explore other options.

I was going for a Behringer BX4500T basically on a power-for-price principle. I'm now looking at going up to the Ashdown MAG300. I've found that there is a rackmount version and a non-rackmount, and the rackmount is on sale for less.

The behringer is rated at 450W RMS@4ohm, which I'm guessing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 275-300W @ 8 ohm (I'm running an 8 ohm cab.) The Ashdown is only rated for 300W RMS@4ohm, which I'm assuming would get me about 175W @ 8 ohm. I'm running a 4x10 cab.

1. Would I be able to simply set the rackmount version on top of my amp, or would that cause problems? I could get the version that is encased, but if I can save money without and problems I'd enjoy that.

2. Would the Ashdown head through my 4x10 be loud enough for small gigs?

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    some people use a "gig bag" a padded bag that fits the head. most people set their amp or rack with the amp on top of their cabs. "rackmount" means the electronics are in a metal case kinda like a stereo component, but with "ears" to screw it to a rack.

depends on what you consider a "small" gig 175 into a 410 should be fine in a coffee shop or semi-acoustic jam. if you have loud drums you'll still probably be heard, but not much headroom. if you have a guitarist who cranks a 212 or 412 AND loud drums in a bar type setting, you might have some trouble.