Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few concerns about a switch in amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StickNaving, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I've been trying to get an amp lately, and since the entire internet has it backordered and I cant afford to wait a long time, I've begun to explore other options.

I was going for a Behringer BX4500T basically on a power-for-price principle. I'm now looking at going up to the Ashdown MAG300. I've found that there is a rackmount version and a non-rackmount, and the rackmount is on sale for less.

The behringer is rated at 450W RMS@4ohm, which I'm guessing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 275-300W @ 8 ohm (I'm running an 8 ohm cab.) The Ashdown is only rated for 300W RMS@4ohm, which I'm assuming would get me about 175W @ 8 ohm. I'm running a 4x10 cab.

1. Would I be able to simply set the rackmount version on top of my amp, or would that cause problems? I could get the version that is encased, but if I can save money without and problems I'd enjoy that.

2. Would the Ashdown head through my 4x10 be loud enough for small gigs?

].
    -Stick

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    some people use a "gig bag" a padded bag that fits the head. most people set their amp or rack with the amp on top of their cabs. "rackmount" means the electronics are in a metal case kinda like a stereo component, but with "ears" to screw it to a rack.

depends on what you consider a "small" gig 175 into a 410 should be fine in a coffee shop or semi-acoustic jam. if you have loud drums you'll still probably be heard, but not much headroom. if you have a guitarist who cranks a 212 or 412 AND loud drums in a bar type setting, you might have some trouble.