1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a few fretboard questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    my main question is if ironwood is a strong enough fingerboard wood to resist the wear of roundwounds if it was used on a fretless. is bloodwood strong enough? i am debating witch to use on my next build. the bloodwood would look killer and work alought better with the overall looks of the bass, but the ironwood is dark red so it would look okay too. actually the ironwood is not like any other iron wood i have seen in looks. not sure of the species but has all the qualities of ironwood.

my other question involves the finishing of my current fretboard. it is a flamed maple freted board and i am trying to finish it with minwax high gloss (the brush on kind) using foam brushes. i am hanging it from the ceiling so it dries right, but it is coming out feeling realy sticky and uneven, and not looking as good as it could. what am i doing wrong? will it lose the crappy feel if i give it a few weeks to cure? will it even out and look better with multiple coats? am i just using the wrong finish? would the poly gloss finish better if i was using a differant applying method like the wipe on, or spray? what would you suggest? i am open to stripping the finish off, and doing it again.

2. Iron wood:yes.
    Bloodwood:yeah probable but I would finish it with epoxy or maybe super glue.
    Minwax poly:Foam brush+fretwire = :rollno: try wet sanding then a couple coats spray thats really easy to do ;)

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    do u think the ironwood would not look of place with the design/wood choice? if i did an ironwood fb, i would probably do the binding around the holes in it to.
    poly spray? will do. so are you saying i do not need to completely strip the current finish, just wet sand it? what grit? the fretwire is masked btw

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Bloodwood is plenty hard enough for a fretless fingerboard without a finish. It's around as hard as ebony. Should hold up just fine with round-wounds.

[​IMG]

5. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
    Pretty.

Uh oh. GAS!!!

:)

6. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Thanks! GAS is a strange and wonderous affliction, for which there is no long-term remedy. :D

7. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
    If only I could claim it on my health insurance.

That would be teh hawesome. :hyper:

8. Love the "F" holes,using a bass clef (an old style F) that is hot! ;) and its nice to know that bloodwood is that strong.
    :confused: whats with the end of the fingerboard,is that a thumbrest :confused:
    I like to router a small trench beside the last string(its out of the way)for my thumbrest.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thats the first thing i noticed (the f holes). everyone is in love with that thing (and we are going to rob you:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:) lol. wouldn't that be crazy. someone breaks into your house just to steal that. lmao!

(p.s. where do ya live:p)

I like to make my thumbrest blend into the body/design of the bass, but aperantly it is flawed in the fact that it needs more "Racing Stripes". lol i think i will shape the rest of my contours like my first bass.

10. Look all I'm saying is a bass without "Racing Stripes" simply DOES NOT PLAY AS FAST as a bass with "Racing Stripes" this is not my opinion this is a proven FACT

11. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    lmao. damn kids and thier racing stripes:scowl:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021