1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A few GK questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Revmizery, Apr 11, 2010.

1. So basically after trying a 1001RB-II with my bass through a Neo410 I feel like I'm sold on this amp. But I have some questions about it. I already have 2 GK Neo410's so it will be powering a nice wall of speakers. So my first question is, do you think that a 1001 is enough or should I jump up to the 2001?

Next when I purchased one of the 410's it was a floor model and I didn't realize till I purchased my 2nd one that it is supposed to come with the GK bi-amp cable which I would like to use. Now are these wired like a normal bridged style Spekon with all four conductors being used or should I contact GK to get a replacement?

While using the the bi-amp of the GK amps what is the best position of the knob on the back of the cabs?

And an easy one....
    Any want to trade their GK for a Sunn 1200S?:p

2. It's not a bridge cable. You need a length of four core cable and the wiring is +1>+1, -1>-1, +2>+2 and -2>-2.

Paul

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    aka standard 4 pole biamp Speakon cable.

Back control pretty much to taste. I would turn it all the way open and control the tweeter volume from the front panel.

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    To your question on whether or not you need the bigger 2001rb head and are not sure that the 1001rb II will be enough i can assure you that that 700watts that the 1001 puts out is way more then enough unless you are playing a football stadium will out sound reinforcement!!! The 700 watts that the Gk 1001 head puts out makes most other brands 1000 watt monsters stand up and take note...They are a VERY Loud Head for there Rating... Unlike any other head i have played through...You will not be let down buy the power of that head!!!...if there is some chance you are ever able to run that head about 12 O-clock on the master preamp volume and master speaker out put and have a cab that can Hold together. Let me Know cause yeah That head is MEAN!!! Best of luck!! Cheers Mate!!

5. The 1001 is dangerously loud and you should have plently of push for two cabs.

The 2001 really is intended for 2-3+ cab stadium stage setups. Wow! The Gk1001 will handle anything really.

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    +1!!!. Like I said VERY VERY LOUD AWESOME Amp!!

7. If the cabs are set to "bi-amp" position on the switch on the back, then the tweeter control knob on the back of the cab is bypassed - you use the tweeter amp control instead. The tweeter control on back of cab only works in "full range" setting.

I've got a similar stack with a 1001RBII and 2 x Neo212 and its stupid loud - I can't imagine ever finding the volume limits of this rig and I play in a loud progressive rock band.

8. That's what I assumed since it had a stereo Power section.

That makes like a lot easier, Kinda got tired of turning the cabs around to adjust the tweeter on the back. Another question the thing I like the most on the amp is the presence knob, what does this actually do?

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    there's this thing called an owner's manual and this is what it says that the presence control does:

Presence +9dB@10kHz

10. Or, in easier terms, gives you a bit of a treble boost. If you look under the knobs, there's a bit of a graphic description of what it does (it looks like a flat line with a spike at the "higher" end of the line). Don't worry, I just noticed those after owning my amp for about 5 years now.