A few good, simple cover songs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Oct 10, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I'm trying to put together a set list for a gig I have coming up in January. Here's the situation. I need about an hour's worth of material for a band consisting of acoustic guitar, piano, bass, sax, and drums.

Complicating the issue is that the members will be coming from all over the country and won't have much time to practice. The median age of the audience and band members other than myself is probably about 45.

The last time we did this, we figured out the songs the night before and did a decent job, but I want to be a LOT more organized this time.

I'm looking for a list of relatively simple songs (i.e., that we can pull off reasonably well given our lack of familiarity with each other and limited practice time) that fit this mix of instruments. We don't have to use every instrument for every song.

Any ideas for songs we could use? The song that came out best last time was "Long Train Runnin'" by the Doobie brothers, if that helps at all. Thanks.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Oh La La" by the Faces. ("I wish that I knew all I know know, when I was younger") D & Em catchy and easy to sing along with.

"Spider and the Fly" & "High & Dry" by the Rolling Stones. Funny and fun to play, but simple.

"Born to Lose" by Johnny Thunders. Another fun chorus.

I know these are obscure(to some) but they are catchy, simple, and fun!