1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few "how do I _?" questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I want to learn to do my own setups because, well, I don't always have $50 to spare on a pro setup.

How do I check to see if my nut is having any issues? If it were cut too low, or not low enough, or if the slots were wonky...how would I be able to tell?

If I had high or low frets, what's the easiest way to tell?

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Find a straight edge that is just long enough to cross the three lowest frets (about three or four inches). Lay that across three frets at a time, and if the straight edge wobbles, you have a high fret.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
  4. Actually none of those guides addressed either of my questions.

Those guides assume that either a: your nut is already optimized or b: you know how to optimize it. Also none of those guides cover fret filing.

I know plenty about TR adjustments, action adjustments and setting intonation already.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

King, press the first fret. Note the space over the second fret. Now press the third, the space at the first should be the same as your first measurement. If you begin with proper relief and action, you can use this method to optimize the nut. For more exacting specs, just go to the Fender website, etc. and they have the measurements for string height at the nut as measured with a feeler gauge. >O

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Optimizing a nut is relatively advanced in that it is a permanent physical change to the instrument as opposed to adjusting a truss rod or saddle. Important as it is, most builders and techs do not consider it to be part of normal set up procedures.

Filing a fret is fret work. It is a separate field of study.